PROLOGUE - Ours

Author's Note: This an exclusive excerpt for Wattpad readers.

Even over the sea, Thea could smell the blood on her. When she breathed in, it filled her with a familiar hunger that haunted her dreams. Except now it disgusted her, leaving a horrible taste in her mouth, because she knew where it came from.

"Is it done?" she asked. She stood on the rocky shore, staring over the sea, her back to her sister.

"You know it is," Penn said. Although Penn was angry, her voice still kept its seductive edge, that alluring texture she could never completely erase. "No thanks to you."

Thea glanced back over her shoulder at Penn. Even in the dull light of the moon, Penn's black hair glistened, and her tanned skin seemed to glow. Fresh from eating, she looked even more beautiful than she had a few hours before.

A few droplets of blood splattered Thea's clothes, but Penn had mostly been spared from it, except for her right hand. It was stained crimson up to her elbow.

Thea's stomach rolled with both hunger and disgust, and she turned away again.

"Thea." Penn sighed and walked over to her. "You know it had to be done."

Thea didn't say anything for a moment. She just listened to the way the ocean sang to her, the watersong calling for her.

"I know," Thea said finally, hoping her words didn't betray her true feelings. "But the timing is awful. We should've waited."

"I couldn't wait anymore," Penn insisted, and Thea wasn't sure if that was true or not. But Penn had made a decision, and Penn always got what she wanted.

"We don't have much time." Thea gestured to the moon, nearly full above them, then looked over at Penn.

"I know. But I already told you, I've had my eye on someone." Penn smiled widely at her, showing her razor-sharp teeth. "And it won't be long before she's ours."