chapter sixteen

"Home sweet home." Alex said once he and Angelica got back to the apartment.

"You need a shower." Angelica said as she wrinkled her nose. "You stink."

"Gee thanks." Alex said, feigning hurt. "I love you too."

"Love has nothing to do with your sweatiness." she replied with a smile.

"Did you have a good time tonight?" he asked and she nodded.

"Other than punching Candy," she said and then she shrugged and gave a guilty grin. "Of course even that was fun if I'm being honest." Alex laughed loudly and gave her a big hug even as she complained again about his smell.

"I'll go get a shower then." he said. He kissed her softly and then walked away to the bedroom. Angelica heard the shower turn on and she tried to work up her courage. She wanted Alex... She wanted to make love to him. She wanted to feel him touching her and she wanted to touch him. She was tired of being afraid.

On shaking legs she walked into the bedroom and slid out of her clothes. She looked in the full length mirror as she pulled the scrunchy from her hair, and winced at the sight of her scars but then she smiled. Her scars didn't bother Alex so she wouldn't let them bother her. She could see the love, desire, passion and lust in his eyes whenever he saw her and what kind of woman could feel unbeautiful when looked at like that.

She felt her nerves eating through her stomach as she paused outside the cracked bathroom door. She could hear the water running and she could hear it falling to the ground as he washed his body beneath it.

"I can do this. I am a grown woman, I am in love and he is nothing like Victor. Alex would never hurt me." she whispered to herself. She pushed the door open and saw him, his body distorted behind the frosted glass of the shower door. He was tall and lean and she could see the darkness further down his waist and swallowed hard.

She knew the instant he realized she was there. He turned to face her and even through the frosted glass she could see his desire and feel it in the foggy air of the bathroom. He pushed open the shower door and Angelica gasped at the sight of him. Everything about him was different than Victor and when she looked at him, already swelling and growing hard for her, she suddenly realized why Candy had been so desperate to win him back.

"Alex...." she whispered.

"My eyes are up here." he said and though his voice was deep and gruff with passion, she was happy to hear the same light hearted teasing in his tone. Alex wouldn't be like Victor. He wouldn't become some mindless, violent machine when he was consumed with passion. He would still be Alex.

"I need a shower too." she managed to gasp as she looked up into his warm blue eyes. Alex nodded and moved aside, motioning for her to join him. She wasn't sure how her legs carried her across the cool tile of the bathroom floor but the next thing she knew she was stepping into the shower and standing beneath the hot, pelting droplets of water.

Alex put his gentle hands on her shoulders and turned her around so her back was to him and then he pressed his lips to her ear.

"Go ahead and take a shower, sweetheart." he whispered. Alex saw the way her hands were shaking as she raised her hand to her hair and smoothed it out as the hot water soaked through the golden waves. She threw her head back and arched her back as she bent one knee, lifting one foot so only her toes were touching the ground and Alex felt his mouth go dry and he barely suppressed the urge to throw her against the wall and take her hard right then and there.

He lowered his hands from her shoulders, and ran his fingertips down her back, and over her shoulder blades. He felt her stiffen and then she moaned and leaned into his hands as he lowered them to the small of her back and massaged her tense muscles. Alex knew he needed to move slowly but he also knew that he was going to make love to her tonight. No more letting her pull away and treat him as if he was Victor and going to hurt her.