(Kids it's time to start heading back this way.) Evan said even though he knew they couldn't respond. Not until an immortal turned sixteen did they gain the full strength of their immortal powers. They couldn't telecommunicate over long distances or change to wolves but they would be able to hear him.

The adults waited and made small talk for a while. Angela stood and began pacing the kitchen. Jake stood and grabbed her shoulders to hold her still.

"Do you want me to go look for them?" he asked. She shook her head.

"No, I'm just worrying too much. You know how I am." Just then Lane cursed out loud and ran out the door. Everyone followed him out into the driving snow and howling icy wind.

Kayleb had Kaylee in his arms as he stumbled bloody and beaten out of the woods. Evan took Kaylee from his arms and everyone followed him into the house.

"What happened and where is Laney?" Jake demanded.

"There was a vamp. He attacked us. He took Laney. I tried to stop him uncle Jake but he was just too strong." Kayleb said his shame at his failure clearly visible on his face.

Evan laid Kaylee on the table. She was unconscious and bleeding freely from a wound in her stomach. She was too young for her body to be able to heal itself quickly. Her body was barely capable of healing any better than a mortal would be.

"Angela help her....." Raquel said clinging to Kaylee's arm as desperate tears ran down her face. Angela forced her own fears for Laney from her mind and laid her hands on Kaylee's stomach. She focused all her energy and the wound healed beneath her palms. She pulled away and Charles saw she looked pale and scared to death but strong.

"Kayleb, where is my daughter?" Angela demanded. Kayleb shrugged as tears ran down his cheeks.

"I don't know! He grabbed her and ran off. I knew Kaylee would die if I didn't get her back here." Jake cursed and grabbed Kayleb's arm roughly.

"Ran off? Not dashed?" he asked.

"No he ran. He said something about getting revenge on grandpa for killing three of his friends recently...." Charles was certain that fire filled Jakes' eyes as he turned on him.

"Do you know what he's talking about?" Jake demanded. Charles thought back to the night that seemed so much longer than two weeks ago. He nodded. Jake growled.

"If my daughter dies because you led that blood sucking son of a bitch here I'll...." Angela slapped Jakes arm to shut him up and he looked at her with shock.

"Fight with him later!" she shouted. "Bring my daughter back to me!" Jake turned without saying a word and went down the hall to the door that led to the basement where he and his father had kept their office. Charles and Lane followed him down into the dusty room. Jake grabbed several wooden stakes and put them in his pants and then tossed some to Lane and Charles.

"Son, I'm sorry...." Charles said. Jake held up his hand.

"Not as sorry as you'll be if something happens to my daughter." he said and ran back up the steps.

"Let us go with you." Angela and Joey said at the same time as three of them came back into the kitchen. Jake growled and shook his head.

"Hell no. I am not going to have to worry about whether or not you're safe! You stay here!" Jake said grabbing Angela's arm and forcing her to sit in a chair at the table. Angela nodded. She had never seen Jake this angry before and she didn't want to distract him from what he needed to do.

"Well I'm coming." Joey said. Lane shook his head.

"Nope."

"Why not?" she asked. Lane growled then and forced her into the chair next to Angela.