Chapter Eight

"Mom, I'm going to be late! I need to find my black shoes!" Kaylee shouted angrily in the hall rousing Charles from his sleep. He wrapped his arm tighter around Rebecca's soft, sleeping body and kissed her head where it lay on his chest.

She woke up and looked up at him her face red where it been pressed against his chest.

"You're still here. It wasn't a dream." she said softly. He traced the light scar on her shoulder where he had marked her and smiled.

"No it wasn't a dream."

"Mom! Help me find my shoes!" Kaylee shouted again as she stomped past their room.

"I don't know where your shoes are, Kaylee! Why don't' you clean your room and you'll find them." Raquel shot back. Kaylee shrieked angrily.

"Oh my.. She's just like Bethany was at that age." Charles said remembering the many times he had heard Bethany throw similar tempers. Rebecca laughed softly .

"Yes she is. Raquel and Evan definitely have their hands full."

"Where are you going anyway?" They heard Evan ask.

"Dad you are always so clueless! I have a lunch date with Thomas today." Charles looked over at the clock and saw that it was indeed getting close to lunch time. He heard Rebecca gasp when she realized what time it was too.

"Oh my gosh what are the kids going to think." she said her face turning red.

"That their mom and dad are finally back where they both belong." he said giving her a squeeze. She kissed his cheek, stood up and pulled on a pair of black leggings and a white sweater. Charles growled and stood up as well and pulled on a clean pair of pants and a t-shirt.

"Why exactly can't we just stay in bed?" he asked.

"Where did you say you were going?" Evan's voice came from the hallway.

"On a lunch date with Thomas." Kaylee repeated with annoyance.

"Not dressed like that you're not! Go back upstairs and change into a shirt that didn't fit you when you were five!" he bellowed. Kaylee could be heard stomping up the stairs.

"It doesn't matter if I can't find my black shoes!" she yelled. Just then a door slammed open down the hall.

"That's it! I'm moving out!" Jake yelled. Charles and Rebecca stepped out into the hall in time to see Evan and Jake walking down the stairs.

"I know where her shoes are.. I'll go get them before Jake blows the house up." Rebecca said. Charles chuckled and kissed her cheek.

"Still just as hot headed as he always was?" he asked. Rebecca smiled and nodded.

"Hottest head you'll ever find.. But the amazing thing is that no matter what Angela says to him he always just takes a deep breath, nods and says yes ma'am."

"Smart man." Charles replied.

"Where are my shoes!" Kaylee yelled.

"That girl is driving me crazy!" Jake declared from down in the kitchen. Rebecca gave Charles's hand a squeeze and then walked away up the stairs to the third floor where Kaylee could be heard throwing things around her room.

Charles walked downstairs to the living room and found Kayleb and Lane sitting on the couch playing video games. He sat down on the couch as well and watched them for a while.

"Kayleb, did you know that your uncle Jake actually fought in that war?" Charles asked. Kayleb rolled his eyes.

"Duh." he said. Charles flinched a little at the harshness in the boys voice and was silent again. Lane wanted to try to ease the tension but wasn't sure what to say so he just decided to jump ship and get the hell out of the way. He laid his controller down after letting a Nazi blow his brains out and stood up off the couch.