Chapter 8 ~ Unfortunate Events ~

She woke up because of a knocking sound coming from the other side of her door. A smile spread across her face when she remembered their promise.

"Come in," her voice came out sounding happier and lighter than she'd wanted it to. The door opened with a screech and Alex came in. He noticed her rubbing her eyes and grinned.

"Did I wake you?"

"I'm glad you did," Rapunzel blushed. He reached out to touch her hair, but jumped as he heard a sound from the outside. They sat still for a minute and when nothing else was heard, his body relaxed.

"Come on," he nudged at her, "we should get going." Rapunzel nodded and grabbed his hand. She stood up shakily and Alex smiled kindly.

"Don't worry. It'll be okay," he added.

"I know," she managed, suddenly gaining confidence, because of his presence. He brushed his fingers through her rich hair, approving of her attitude. It was here. The moment they'd been waiting for. Their freedom was so close, Rapunzel could almost feel it slip through her fingers.

Alex dropped his hand from her head and, deciding it was safe, led her out the room silently. They opened the door soundlessly and before letting Rapunzel out, Alex stepped in front of her, his protectivness causing her to blush with joy. He stared out into the empty hallway for a few moments, which, to the both of them, felt like forever. Rapunzel leanedover his shoulder onher tiptoes to get a better view.

The building seemed quiet, lifeless even at night. She'd hated it there, however now that she knew she was leaving, she felt a small pang of emotion. Afterall, despite it being such a horrid place, she grew up here. Sighing, she followed Alex into the eerie asylum hallway. She didn't even turn around. Afterall, goodbyes weren't her thing.

Every once in a while, a rat would scurry past them, brushing its filthy body against either Rapunzel or Alex's feet. Before they knew it, they were nearly in front of the gates to the building. It was chilly out, the wind blowing loudly, as if calling out to Rapunzel and asking her to join it.

She felt alive. Her hair was now tangled and her light nightgown was spotted with mud. She didn't mind. It was beautiful actually.

"Are we going to buy a house? A small one on the country side somewhere...oh, and we could keep chickens, too! I'd work at home and cook for you every day and you'd have a job. Wouldn't it be wonderful?" Rapunzel's words were filled with a dreamy wonder and Alex had to stop and kiss her. He pressed his lips to hers and she responded almost immediately, warming up to him. Her body felt hot and goosebumps formed on her arms. She wasn't cold, though. It was quite the opposite. She was on fire, locking lips passionately, her torso pushing against his. He wrapped his arms around her tightly as she stroked his neck. It felt like forever while they stood in front of the gateway to freedom and kissed.

When they finally broke apart, they were both breathing heavily, wanting more.

"We should hurry," said Alex finally.

"Ye - " Eyes widening, Rapunzel stopped at spun around. Someone was here. Noticing my reaction, he turned to see what was going on, but before Rapunzel could warn him, a gunshot sounded. She spun in his direction, gesticulating frantically. His eyes were wide and filled with pain. For a second, he stood next to her without moving. Then he fell. Blood flowed out of his lifeless body as he lay there dying. Rapunzel ran to him, tears in her eyes, refusing to believe this. What was going on? She was supposed to be free...she was supposed to be happy. They were going to get a house and jobs and chicken...another gunshot sounded, the loud sound interrupting the wind's cries. Rapunzel stared at the place she was hit in. Blood oozed out of the wound. She laughed, causing stuff to come out of her mouth.

"So this is how it is?" she whimpered. It didn't matter. She hated this world anyway. She tumbled onto the grass next to Alex and smiled.

"I'll be with you soon," she whispered, a single bloody tear dropping on her cheek.

The two bodies lay in the garden, covered in leaves, scratches, and blood. The grass and dirt sucked in most of the red, and became dyed.

"It was disgusting," said one the doctors, "but it had to be done. They were both lunatics."

Some people nodded in agreement. Some shook their heads. It was truly tragic. Two lovers gone mad and dangerous were killed and died beside each other.

It was kind of funny, though. Everyone pretended as if they were some horrible criminals, ready to murder, when really they were the ones murdered. Rapunzel squeezed Alex's hand at the sight. He grinned at her in return. Nothing could break them apart.

Not even death.