Chapter 9

Maria

I look up at Saud, deciding to rest my gaze on his shoulder; it is safer than looking into his eyes. He deserves an explanation. It is the least I can do after what I just put him through I tell him this, but it is as if I haven't spoken.

"Do you have a phobia are you afraid of the dark Maria? I know you don't want to talk about this, but sometimes talking it out with someone can help. I promise I won't judge," he says softly.

I feel a tear roll down my cheek.

"I don't deserve your kindness Saud." I sigh wiping my cheek, blushing. How many times have I cried in front of him in less than 24 hours? "You probably I'm a drama queen," I mumble.

"No you're not," Saud says firmly, catching me by surprise; guess I wasn't as quiet as I thought. I can't help but smile when Saud says that.

"Thanks," I say, why does he have to be so nice? I sigh, "Well I guess I owe you an explanation," I say quietly fiddling with my hands.

"It's ok, take your time. You don't have to tell me anything you don't want. Do you want to sit down?" Saud asks cautiously.

I nod anything to delay having to talk. I gently sit down twisting my legs up to rest my cheek on my knees. As I fold arms around my legs I can see Saud seems to be unsure whether to sit close to me or keep a distance, I feel for him I really do. The poor guy probably wants to run away except he can't because of my stupid brother! Why did this have to happen today of all people with Saud? He is the one person I cannot trust after all the drama his Mum put my family through. Yet, he has been so kind and gentle with me while I had an episode, I cannot forget that. But then I remember our argument before the lights went out.

"The last time I tried to discuss something personal with you I was laughed at, so how do I know you are not going to turn this into some kind of joke like you did before?" I ask bitterly.

"Maybe, if you had given me a chance to explain, you would know that as stupid as this is going to sound I do have an explanation for my behaviour earlier. You would also know how sorry I am for everything my Mum did," he says fiercely.

I raise my eyebrows at him "Please spare me, I do not want your apology. You do not need to go around sorting out the mess your mother created" I declare angrily. If anything his mother should be the one apologising to my family.

"But having said that the reason why my mother did all of this in the first place is because of me. She was only looking out for me. She had her best interests in me." Saud continues hastily, as if I had not spoken.

"You see," he says "When you told me about what my Mum did it all made sense" he chuckles "So, if it is anyone's fault it is most probably mines since I am the cause of the stress my mother has in her life," he admits sadly. "Maria," Saud sighs, looking down at me "I am sincerely sorry for everything you have had to go through," he says looking at me directly in the eyes. It catches me off guard. There is a hint of sadness in his eyes, I did not notice earlier. It is gone in a flash, had I not been paying attention I would have missed it.

If there is anything I can relate to right now it is guilt and it seems Saud is carrying such a load of guilt with him.

"I still do not understand. How would spreading rumours about me be is in your best interest?" I ask confused.

"Well you see my mother met you once. I don't know the exact details but she thought you were the "one" for me." He says quoting his mother

"But, instead of approaching your parents for a rishata for me, my mum decided that if people heard bad rumours about you, eventually no one would want to marry you. This would leave us to come to the rescue, as she wanted all along you and I would be married. Now I know it sounds like an evil plan. But believe me, the only reason my mother went through with it, is because she knew I would not settle down easily," Saud explains.