Part Twenty Nine-(Az) The meeting

*Just a note to those about to read--This part may be offensive to some readers due to a conversation regarding religion. Please keep in mind that this is a work of fiction, what is said is NOT what I believe, and I am not trying to push any sort of belief on anybody. With that in mind, enjoy!*

Only a few hours have passed since the drama between Cora and Liam went down, but when Lawson demands a meeting, we have a meeting. It's apparent he's moved on seeing as he's ready to discuss the reason for X-Team Seven's presence here. Eight new chairs had been placed at the meeting table until Theo demanded that Amelia's chair be left empty in her absence. Lawson tried reasoning with him, but he refused to budge on the topic stating that it must seem as if she's still here seeing as she's not dead. Lawson finally sighed in defeat and had Beau go get another chair. There's been no debating with Theo on the subject of Amelia. It doesn't matter who's doing the debating. He's as stubborn as a damn teenage girl.

After all twenty of us have taken our seats, Lawson calls the meeting to order. Taking just a cursory glance around the room, anyone could figure out who's on which team. Those of us on X-Team Three are all a little more reserved. Our shoulders are being held a little lower, and all except me have darkened circles under their eyes-my simulated human form is always in flawless condition; that includes physical indications of stress. Worry and exhaustion have grabbed a hold of my more human teammates and begun to squeeze the life out of them. I've never seen them so broken down. It's not a sight I ever want to see again.

"We all know why we're here, and we're not leaving this room until we've got a conclusion on what should be done," Lawson announces. Then he sighs, rubs his face with a hand, and looks pointedly at me. "And I won't accept any solution that even infers losing either Az or Amelia." He already knows my stance on the subject. I'm ready to go back to hell for any chance, no matter how slim, to save her life. To me, this meeting is pointless. X-Team Seven's presence here is pointless. It doesn't matter how many people we have. The entirety of the X-Team branch of the government wouldn't have the power to fight Satan on this.

"I say we fight," Theo states. Just based on his hardened expression I can tell it'll be difficult to sway him on this.

"That should be a last ditch effort," Vera says, gazing at Theo. "A battle between us and hell would be lethal for probably all of us. We can't help Az or Amelia if we're all dead."

I close my eyes and lower my head. They just don't understand. That can't even be considered as a plan B. It wouldn't just be lethal for us. The entire world as we know it would be in danger. Although, if Satan is planning an invasion already, I suppose our deaths won't matter anyway. No one will be able to stop him. Well, no one willing to help anyway.

"What if we make a deal with him?" Tanga asks. "I hear he likes-"

My head snaps up, and I stare explicitly at her. "Absolutely not," I say. "Deals with the devil never end well. You may get your way, but the price won't be worth it. Possibly too much to pay, and if that's the case, he gets what he wants and that's that. There's no bargaining once you've lost. He's manipulative and knows how to get what he wants without having to deliver on his end. He always wins." Tanga sighs and drops her gaze to the table in front of her. I then look at each face at the table in turn. "There is no good solution to this problem. I'm not sure why none of you are listening to me. I know him. There will be no fighting this."

I notice Theo's breath catch in his throat, and he turns a severe gaze right at me. "No offense Az, but I agree, and the only solution is to send you back."

"What did I say not a few minutes ago, Theo?" Lawson asks, his glare at Theo sending threat in waves that I'm sure everyone can feel. "Losing Az isn't an option. End of story. If you can't accept that, you know where the door is."