Chapter Three

THREE

Waking up on Saturday mornings is a rush. The smell of fresh sausage and bacon being cooked on the grills of the haulers and the tailgaters is the norm. As I rubbed my eyes, I rolled over to grab my cell phone, which had two text messages waiting for me. The first was the normal ‘good luck today and video chat me after the race have fun’ from Krys. The other message was from a number I didn’t recognize. It read:

Hey Brooke, it’s Ty. Just wanted 2 say good luck today and I had fun last night, thank U 4 listening. C U later.

My heart skipped a beat as I read and reread the message. I couldn’t believe this was real. How did he get my number? But I couldn’t worry about that just yet. I got up and got dressed as quickly as I could, ate breakfast, and ran outside to jump on the golf cart.

I drove it all the way down to the garage, and ran to Kev’s car. He was standing with Alec, and they were cutting up about something, as usual.

“Kev!” I screamed, out of breath from running. “Where did Dad put my headset? It wasn’t on the counter this morning where I left it last night.”

Kevin shrugged. “I don’t know, why don’t you go ask Dad?” he said, sarcastically, as Alec thumped the back of my head. I rolled my eyes as Kev told me that Dad had gone down to Chase Mathews’ garage stall.

I powerwalked all the way down to the tenth garage stall where Chase’s car was sitting, abandoned; Dad and Chase’s crew chief were standing nearby. They appeared to be talking about how the weather conditions were going to affect the handling of the car. I hesitated; looking around to make sure Tyler wasn’t anywhere near.

After making sure the coast was clear, I walked up behind Dad as he finished up his conversation.

“Hey Brooke,” he said, slinging his arm dad-style over my shoulders, “I’d like you to meet Mark Mathews, Chase’s crew chief and uncle. Mark, this is my daughter, and Kevin’s spotter, Brooke.”

Mark shook my hand. “Nice to meet you, Miss Riley. I assume you’ve met our spotter, Tyler.”

I could feel my face flush as I thought about the conversation last night and the text I got from him this morning. The tingly feeling came back and I felt my face get red. Obviously, Mr. Mathews had no idea about his spotter’s late night encounter last night. After composing myself I replied,

“Yes sir, we met yesterday during qualifying. He kept trying to tell me Chase was going to out qualify Kevin.”

Mark chuckled. “That’s Tyler for ya! Joker just like his old man. Well I gotta go make sure everything’s ready for this afternoon, good luck to y’all!”

He walked hastily through the garage, leaving Dad and I there. Dad put his hand on my shoulder and we silently walked back to Kev’s stall. 

“Dad, have you seen my headset? I laid it on the counter last night when I came in, and this morning it was gone.”

“Yeah, I let Tyler borrow it this morning, he’s up on the stand, go see if he still has it.”

He walked back in the stall and I just stood there, thinking he’d set this up somehow, and he knew something.

I sighed and walked up to the stand. Tyler wasn’t there, the stand was deserted. Except my headset was sitting on an abandoned chair, with a note underneath. I picked up my headset, returning the frequency to Kev, and placed the note in my back pocket to read when I get back to the motor coach. I don’t need any distractions during the race.

“B, we need you in the garage. Now.” I heard my dad’s voice over the radio as I ran down to where Kevin’s car was parked in the garage stall. I was out of breath by the time I got back down there.

“What do you need, Dad?” I gasped, trying to catch my breath. 

I noticed immediately that the whole team was there, and I couldn’t help but wonder what was going on. It had to be important. My dad was silent for a few minutes before saying,

“Kev is sick. He won’t be able to run the race today.”

He kept his head down and the rest of the team was silent. I ran through possible scenarios in my head before replying,

“Why can’t Alec drive?”

“The seat is too small. We tried to fit him in. He’s going to be the spotter today.”

“Then who’s going to--”

Before I could even finish, I put two and two together. Kevin is the smallest driver in the series, the only person on the whole team who was ever able to fit into his seats was—

“Honey, you’re going to have to drive today. You’re the only one who can fit into the seat. We’ve already had it cleared with NASCAR and you are going to have to deal with Kev’s firesuit. Go get changed get back here as soon as you can.”

I was still in a state of shock when Dad handed me Kev’s suit. I walked to the nearest bathroom to get changed. I haven’t driven since two seasons ago in the Camping World East Series. May 31st was my final race.

Everything was a blur. After I finished changing, I looked in the mirror as I flipped my hair in a ponytail. I saw my mother’s face; I have her thick chestnut curls and her round face. My eyes, however, were emerald green, just like my dad. I saw myself as the 16-year-old, back in the East Series cars, getting ready for what would be my final race.

As I smoothed out my suit, I remembered the note in the back pocket of my jeans. I pulled it out and read:

Brooke—

Good luck today. You’ll do great. Be safe.

--Ty

My heart skipped a beat. He must have heard from his dad about Kev. I snapped back to reality, I need to focus. I have a car to race today, I can’t be distracted.

I walked quickly back to the garage after realizing how long it took me to change. Dad pulled me aside as soon as I got to the stall. He looked quite stressed out, and I don’t blame him. I was kind of wigged out myself.

“Look, B, I know this is hard for you. This is the first time you’ve ever driven these cars, and your first time back after the accident. But sweetie, you have to be strong. I’m so sorry I had to put you in this position at such short notice. I had no other choice.”

I took a deep breath, “I understand, Dad. I’m going to fight hard for y’all out there today. I’ll do my best, just like Mama always taught me.”

I kept a tear from escaping as Dad kept talking, “Don’t be too hard on yourself out there. We just need to finish. Don’t be too aggressive, keep your head on straight, and we’ll be fine.”

I nodded.

“Yes, sir.”

I turned to walk away, and Dad grabbed my shoulder.

“I’m proud of you, baby girl. Your mama is looking down on you right now, as proud as any mother could ever be. Don’t you ever forget that.”

I smiled, catching the tear that managed to escape. I could hear my mom in his voice. I wish she was here to see me now, but I know she’s up above, watching me from heaven.