Chapter Nine

Dear Scott

The hours spent

We talked away

The truth between us fell

Dear Scott, my friend, my bff

I’m sorry for wanting more

I realize it now

It was all my fault

I went on blaming you 

I broke my heart

I tainted my soul

I left myself in the dust

You never dropped me

I dropped myself

Now look at where I am

I’m sorry, Scott

For all you did was care

You cared for me

In the way you could

Yet for me 

It was never enough

And now I see

What I didn’t before

The truth between us stands

“What do I do, Amy?” I felt panic rise in my voice as I closed my eyes, pressing roughly on my temple with my index finger.

“I have no clue. It’s pretty much common knowledge, ALREADY,” she emphasized ‘already’ as her voice grew louder. 

“He did it over a text, Amy! He told me he was going to wait till lunch tomorrow!" I wasn't sure how much more commotion I would be able to handle that night; their breakup a cherry on top of a shit sundae. I hadn't even been home for an hour before he texted me to tell me he ended things with Jean, causing an already stressful evening into a catastrophic mess of drama. "What the fuck," I sighed, resting my head on the desktop in front of me.

She laughed, “Well serves her right!” I was beginning to feel worse and worse about the situation, my easily manipulated mind sending itself on a guilt trip. I assumed he'd wait until the following day, perhaps until he was alone with her during lunch, ending things delicately between them. But no, of course with Scott everything had to be done on the fly, his impulsive urges taking over. 

“I just feel so bad for her. I mean it’s gotta suck to see your boyfriend out with some other girl and then to have him break up with you like an hour later… AND over a text!” I wasn't Jean's biggest fan, that was common knowledge, but no one, not even Jean, deserved to be dropped like that. She deserved what any other girl deserves, a chance to sit down and talk things through, a final chance at saving the relationship. And if the relationship couldn't be salvaged, the least she deserved was a friendly goodbye, a hug or something to end things on an ok note. To be dumped over a text without any explanation or face to face conversation was unfair and degrading. After the scandalous start to their relationship, she knew as well as I did that their breakup would be headline news the next day at school. Even more scandalous than the unexpected end to their romance would be the cause, the who and why that brought them to an abrupt end. 

"Everyone's going to be talking tomorrow, Amy."

"Yep. You know you're going to be thrown into the mix too," she said casually, adding the fact I had no desire to accept. I knew there'd be talk, and I knew some of it would be about me, the gossip thirsty student body anxiously jumping to conclusions and spreading untrue rumors.