Keeping Quiet

“Hi, I'd like to order takeout.”

       It's Friday night, and I'm sitting on the couch in my small apartment in Washington DC. I'm really hungry, and Chinese food sounds like the perfect idea right now.

       When I finish ordering, the guy on the phone says to come and pick up my order in about 20 minutes. The Chinese restaurant is only a 5 minute walk from my apartment, so I decide to read some before I leave.

       Some time later, I look up and see that it's already been 20 minutes since I started reading! Boy, reading makes the time fly! I quickly grab my coat (it's absolutely freezing in DC right now)  and make my way outside.

       5 minutes later, I step into the warm restaurant. Shaking some of the snow off my coat, I walk up to the cash register.

“Hi, I'm here to pick up my order,” I say to the bright blue man behind the counter. Well, he's not literally blue, he has a blue aura. I forgot to mention, I can see people's auras. If you didn't know, auras are like a halo of light around a person. The color of the light defines their personality and mood.

As far as I know, there aren't many people who can see auras. Actually, I've never met anyone else who is like me. Though it's not exactly like I go around broadcasting to the world what I can see. It's something I learned to keep to myself a long time ago.

       I don't exactly know why I can see people's auras. All I know is that I was born with it. When I learned to talk, I tried telling my parents about it, but they thought I was hallucinating. This resulted in me seeing numerous child psychiatrists until I was about 4. The psychiatrists could never figure out what was wrong with me, so I knew that I wasn't normal. I finally decided that I was the only one who could see the auras, and I stopped telling my parents what I saw. I haven’t told anybody about it since then.

       You may think that it sounds really cool to be able to know so much about a person from just looking at them, but let me tell you, it's definitely not. In my opinion, it tells you too much about a person. It’s prevented me from making many friends throughout life.

“Name, please?”  the man says.

“Adelaide Thomas,” I respond. He then went back into the kitchen, and after what seemed like way too long just to get a bag, he brings me a bag of delicious smelling food to me. I pay, and venture back out into the cold.

       When I get back to my apartment, I sit down at my small table and begin to eat. When I’m done, I peer into the bag to see if there’s anything I missed. I see at small fortune cookie at the bottom, so I pick it up and break it open. What I see next makes me freeze: instead of a generic typed “This is a good time to make new friends,” the fortune is hastily scrawled out in pen and says “Your life is in danger. You must leave the city immediately. Say nothing to anyone, or there will be severe consequences.”

       How could my life be in danger? And who would know if it was in danger? I don’t have many friends around here. The closest thing I have to friends right now are the other waiters and waitresses at the cafe I work at, and I don’t ever talk to them outside of when I work.

       Because of my special, abilities, you might call them, I’ve always been pretty cautious when it comes to stuff like this. When you don’t talk to many people, and someone knows something about your personal life that you haven’t told them, it’s pretty creepy.

       When I finally come back to reality, I jump up out of my seat and start throwing everything into bags and boxes. Within an hour, my apartment is almost bare. I quickly grab a piece of paper and write a resignation letter to my boss. I’ll put it in the mail on my way out of DC. I’m gonna leave. And I’m gonna leave tonight.

************************************************

Hey guys, this is my new story. It may start a little slow, but give it a chance, it'll get better!

Here's a chart that will tell you what each aura means:

Red- Anger, passion, fear, egotistic, strength

Pink- Caring, tender, friendship, love

Yellow- Happy, intellectual, optimistic, friendly, playful, easy-going

Orange- Creative, ambition, courage, easily stressed

Green- Peaceful, healing, jealous, deceitful

Blue- Loyal, sensitive, moody, kind, calm

Violet- Spiritual, wisdom, intuition

Gray- Depression, sadness, low-energy, exhaustion, skepticism, nervousness

Brown- Greed, self-involvment, opinionated

Black- Evil, illness, overhanging death

White- Perfect balance

I hope that helps!