Chapter 1

"Yahoo!" Clara yelled as she jumped over some crates carrying a sack full of stolen bread.

"Get back here you brat!" yelled the store owner and a officer who were chacing her. Clara laughed and continued to run back to her secret hideaway. But, she ended up running into a wall.

"owf... That-thats not suppose to be there..." Clara said rubbing her head. She stood up and looked behind her.

The store owner and the officer were closing in.

Suddenly, the wall disapeared and a boy and a man in armor were standing in Clara's way.

She tried to run passed them, but the armored man stopped her.

"Not so fast." he said. "You need to return what you stole and appologise."

"What? Your kidding right...?" Clara said as she turned around again to see the officer and store owner.

"Go on then." said the boy.

Clara sighed and handed the bag back to the store owner. "i'm sorry for stealing..." she said.

"Damn right you are. Your under arrest." said the officer.

"No please- you dont understand... I was just so hungry and i dont have any money..." Clara tried to explain as she backed away from the officer. She backed right into the armored man and looked as if she was about to cry.

"I'm not letting her off the hook. She has stolen alot more than just bread." the officer said.

"Well, i'm sure we can work something out." said the boy stepping foreward. He took out what looked like a small bag full of coins. "This should cover what she stole before." he handed the bag to the officer.

The officer took the bag and opened it, his eyes grew wide. "Gold? Well, i guess i can let her off the hook..." the officer finally decided. The officer and the store owner headed back into town.

Clara let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you... You really didnt have to do that you know..." she said.

"We know, but you looked like you were in trouble so we thought we'd help out." the armored man said.

"Yeah, its kind of what we do." said the boy.

"So, who are you guys anyway?" Clara asked.

"I'm Alfonse Elric, and this is my older brother Edward." he said.

"Eh? Your brothers? Well, my name is Clara. Clara J. Montgomery. You can call me CJ if its easier." she replied with a smile.

"Well its nice to meet you CJ." said Edward.

"I wish there was something i could do to thank you guys for saving my ass back there." Clara said looking down.

"There's no need to thank us, really." Al said.

Clara shrugged. "If you insist then." she said, as her stomach growled. Clara hung her head. "That bread was suppose to be my breakfast lunch and dinner for a week."

"How about we buy you something to eat then?" Ed suggested.

"Oh no- i couldnt let you do that..." Clare said looking up at him.

"Well, you need to eat. And you could use some new cloths too." he said, looking Clara over.

Clara felt her face get hot. "N-no... Ed i cant let you buy me anything... Not after you paid off the officer for me..." She said.

"C'mon, i'm rich. I can afford it. After all, i'm a state alchemist." he said, showing off his silver pocketwatch.

Clara's eyes widened.