Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Katie's Point Of View

I'm not sure what I saw, but I'm certain I have never seen it before. I have a bad feeling about it and I am worried, though that's an underestimation.

"Lauren Williams?" the doctor called from the hall. I glanced over at him. Yes I was right he is the nice man! Although now that I think of it he is very formal if you know what I mean. Like he is nice but he is I don't know, stern. And he always seems to talk like... fancy or something. Like instead of saying, I dunno, we'll see. He would say, I am not quite sure we shall see. But he is very gentle when he breaks bad news. Anyways! We walked into his room and sat down. So then he asked all the usual questions. Then he looked at her straight in the eyes and said, " Well I think - uh oh. Katie, I need to talk to you. Outside please. Lauren, we will be back in a few minutes."

I walked out with my legs trembling and my hands sweaty. What was wrong? Surly it couldn't be too bad if he just saw it . Like usually people would need an x-ray or something? He brought me to a small room. "I see something in her eyes," he said gently.

I gulped. "I saw it this morning," I mumbled.

"So you know what it means?" he asked.

"No, but I knew it was bad." I admitted.

There was a short silence.

"Ok well we will have to make sure but I think I saw... cancer. leukemia. Blood cancer. I am very sorry."

I was about to cry. I could feel my eyes welling up. But I couldn't cry. For Lauren. I nodded and whispered,

"Ok, are we going to tell her...or?"

He shook his head, "It is too soon yet to be certain. She's too young Katie, I hope you'll understand."

It was hard to understand. It would take some time to digest it but for now, there may be a possibility Lauren has cancer.

I sobbed and he came over and rubbed my back, "Don't worry, she'll get through it. She's a fighter! But I think we should take her for tests, straight away."

We went down the corridor in silence.

"What's wrong with me?" Lauren asked.

I sighed "Erm I don't know, he just has to do tests."

Which was not strictly a lie, because I don't know it's cancer. I mean it's just a possibility.

"Oh." She knew I knew.

"Text Daisy saying you will be late." I said trying to change the subject.

"Ok."

She took out her phone while I went over to push the wheelchair.

She had to do 5 tests. Mostly blood tests. We waited for the results. We sat in silence. Which is very unusual for Lauren because she is my little chatter box. We waited for 1 hour. Finally the results came. 4 came up positive for leukemia. 1 came up as unknown. Tears came streaming down my face with no sound. Lauren is not going to be told until we get home. They said I should tell her. I think we should talk to Mum and Dad about this.

I texted Daisy's mum asking for Daisy to text Lauren that they are going shopping and that we can collect her later. I know that sounds really stupid but I hate disappointing poor Lauren. She has a hard enough life as it is. Daisy's mum and I are friends, she's a nice woman. Lauren was sad when Daisy text her but I said we would get McDonald's as a treat.

When we came home from McDonald's I had to tell her.

"Lauren, come here for a minute." I said.

"yeah?" she says suspiciously. She wheeled into the room and I told myself I had to do it. For her. Mum and Dad would be angry, upset, disappointed but I don't think she'll take it well from them. They've ignored us, as they have done to Jason and I.