A Message from Louis 5

Louis: Hey

Clara: Hi.

Louis: How art thou

Clara: Great lol. You?

Louis: Great ‘cause you’re great lol

Clara: That’s cool. What are you doing right now?

Louis: Nothing. You?

Clara: Going home. I forgot that you stayed in a dorm.

Louis: Go home safely. :)

Clara: I will!

I look up when I hear the soft sounds of what seems to be rain drops falling on the jeepney’s metallic roof. I didn’t bring an umbrella and I curse under my breath. I look at Seth. He has roughly the same reaction.

He laughs nervously. “Probably it’ll stay as drizzle.”

I smile at him, although we both know that rain drops that fall in that speed barely stay as just drizzle.

We stay in the jeep and listen as the drizzle slowly turns to a downpour. When we reach our stop, most of the passengers rush out of the jeepney’s shelter and into the wet, wet world. I rush to the nearest place that has a roof, which turns out to be a waiting shed, with people cramping there already.

Seth follows me after, and we squeeze ourselves among the other wet people. My hair is wet, and I feel my thin t-shirt cling to my body, and my jeans are so heavy, I can barely move my feet. I position my arms across each other, with my hands clutching the opposite arm, making a big X in front of my chest. I feel cold, and I’m worried about the stuff in my bag, since it’s not waterproof.

“Great,” I mutter. Beside me, I hear Seth curse under his breath.

“Well, it can’t get any worse than this,” he laughs. I give him a smile through my chattering teeth. We wait patiently under the shed until the rain gets better.

“It was really warm today,” I say. “I wasn’t expecting it to rain the least bit.”

“Yeah, me too.” Seth is in the same position as I am. He’s probably feeling the same as I am since we’re both decked in t-shirts and jeans.

I shift my weight from one foot to the other and feel the water soaked by my socks. I groan. I am so going to get a warm bath when I get home.

When the rain does get better and the waiting shed isn’t so cramped because the other commuters found jeepneys to ride, Seth and I hail a jeepney.

When we sit beside each other, as there was no other place to sit, inside the cramped jeep, we laugh.

“I would give you a jacket,” he says sheepily. “Only I’m not really wearing a jacket right now, so yeah.”

I laugh and notice that my teeth are still chattering frigidly. “It’s OK. Besides, I’d probably return it anyway since you’d also be freezing. Wouldn’t be fair to you.”

Seth and I laugh. I check my bag to see if there’s any water damage to my stuff. I notice that the top part of my books and notebooks are wet, but other than that, everything is fine.

I check my phone and see that I have messages.

Mom: Where are you? Do you want me to pick you up?

I send mom that I already have a ride home and that I’m fine.  The rest are all from Louis.

Louis: Hey are you home yet?

Louis: Is it raining in your place? ‘Cause it is in mine.

Louis: Are you alright?