The Silent Songbird's Love - Chapter 2

I can't believe my readers have made my story such a hit! I love you all from the bottom of my hear!

So, here is chapter two, and as I've promised, It's much longer. 

Enjoy :)

__________________________________________________

When one falls into the world of death, you can never predict what horrors await. As I tumbled in my dream like state into the darkness below me, I braced my soul for what was to come. I imagined gruesome creatures and vicious beings lurking just to my left, waiting to devour the soul of an unwanted girl that took her own life. They would look at me with their uncompassionate eyes, judging how well I would taste. Then, they would come forth from their dwellings to take me, but that was not so.

A rush of scorching hot wind ripped through the abyss, smelting my skin and causing immense pain. My body began to jerk involuntarily as if I was beginning to have a seizure. The air was sucked from my lungs, causing me to gasp. Instantly, the wind and sensation of falling stopped, my gasp echoing eerily off of the invisible walls. I looked around, searching for any clue that would point to what was happening.

After a few moments, I saw it. At first, it was just a slight particle in the distance, but as it raced towards me, it grew in size and intensity. Soon, I was completely blinded by a force much stronger than anything I’ve ever felt. My skin began to feel as if it was peeling off and my clothes began to smolder. For a moment, I thought I was in hell. When I heard the voices of the doctors over me, I realized that I wasn’t dying; I was coming back to life.

My eyes sprang open to a world of bright fluorescent lights. I gasped as I tried to catch my breath with no avail. Coughing, I tried to focus on the nearest shadow. A soft mumbling could be heard coming from his mouth, unrecognizable to my ear. I tried to focus harder, squinting in the aching light. I moved my lips, trying to form a word, but not a sound was produced. I coughed again and cleared my throat.

With much force, I muttered a single phrase, “Where am I?”

Another shadow came into my foggy line of vision and leaned down over my face. They shone a flashlight in my eyes, causing me to recoil in pain. It was unbearable, really. With the pain similar to getting shards of glass lodged in various body parts, it was complete agony.

The two figures mumbled something to each other and both turned their attention to me. Both of them began saying something over and over, but I couldn’t point out what it was. I coughed again, trying to make myself able to talk. It wasn’t working very well. “Who…?”

The mumbled something again; I stared at them in a dazed state of confusion. “…Sasha?”

“Yeah—Where…?”

“Sasha, can you hear me?” one figure asked insistently, leaning over to get closer to my face.

“Yeah. Where am I?” I choked out and started rubbing my eyes.

“The hospital, of course, “ one of the two figures said in a low, masculine voice. “You just about died!”

“I—died,” I said dreamily, staring at the dark figure in front of me. I blinked a few times and tried to focus on them again. Shapes and colors became more noticeable, but detailed seeing was still impossible.

“No, you didn’t die,” the second one said, or at least I judged them to be the second one since their voice was a lot higher. “We got to you just in time.”

“What—what—“

“Heroin,” the dark one said solemnly. I began to see clearer the more I focused on an object. The dark figure was looking like a normal person more and more every second. The pain was still there, though. I’d have to make do with it for now.

I thought about it a moment and vaguely recalled last night. The cold, hard facts set in and my breathing began to hasten. “Will- will I get arrested?”

The figured thought a moment until the darker one said, “No, most likely not.”

“That’s goo—“

“But you will be admitted into the psych ward of the hospital until we can tame your—ah—suicidal tendencies.”

I thought about it a moment and reasoned it made sense. Maybe these people could help me. But then again, they never have been able to before. “How close was I?”

“To dying? Well, the dosage was enough to make you go into a coma. Luckily, it didn’t kill you,” the dark figure said. “Some people don’t survive at all.”

Dammit.

My vision was fully cleared in a few more minutes and I looked at my company. Both of them wore white robes that doctors had, one had a clipboard in his hand, taking notes. The darker figure I was seeing was actually an Indian doctor, the other was his younger assistant. It made sense now. Though, I should’ve been able to pick up his accent.

“When do I leave?” I finally asked.

The doctor looked up at me with eyes full of compassion and said, “Not some time, I’m afraid. A few more days here and then perhaps a few months in the psych ward. We’re still evaluating you.”

When he said that, I felt like I had been placed under a microscope for the entire would to see, each and every person pointing out my flaws. That word, evaluating… It made me feel like a lab experiment. In some sorts, I was, but it didn’t make me feel any more comfortable.

The assistant glanced at me and said, “You’ll need to take medicine, also.”

“Medicine?” I asked cautiously.

“Anti-depressants,” he replied.

I made an audible groan and shifted on the hospital bed. When I tried to move my arms, I noticed all the tubes in my arm. I studied them for a moment and then something happened. Something inside of me broke. My hands began to shake and my throat closed up. My soul felt as if it has been ripped in two, the tears flowing to the brim of my eyelids. As I looked at the tubes, I thought to myself, “What have I become?”

 _____________________________________________________________

So, how was it? Did I fail?

Please leave feedback below and continue pushing my story to the top! Thank-you!