Chapter Two

Linx's body began to shake. He hated being yelled at.

"You stupid, mangy animal. How could you not know that she had transferred her powers?" Haze yelled, throwing the nearest object that he could reach; a chair from Lavenda's kitchen table.

Linx let out a yelp as the chair hit him in the rump. He ran for cover under the end table by the couch. A whine of complaint came from his throat.

"Shut up." Haze roared. "You had one job and one job only."

Haze's six foot frame towered over the table as he cursed under his breath. He began to pace the length of the house and back again. His long strides ate up the distance between each outside wall. Frustration poured off the man in waves. Linx let out another whine. The anger that came off the man was beginning to scare him. He tucked his tail between his legs and tried to shrink even further away. Haze paused in the middle of the room. If he couldn't have the power that Lavenda had acquired, then he would just take the daughter's. The idea made an evil smile curve his thin lips.

Now he had to figure out how he was going to get to the daughter. She would either be guarded or hidden from him. If she was guarded, he would have no problem getting to her. His minions would be the ones that went in after her, but he was the one that would get her power. Now all he had to do was find her. He turned to look at the end table where the brown wolf was hiding.

"Linx." He said softly. "Come on out Linx. I'm no longer upset with you."

Linx cautiously crept out from his hiding place. He kept his head down and showed his teeth a little to let Haze know that he hadn't appreciated being yelled at. He gave a light growl. His tail lifted as he moved towards the man. Haze's hand came down to rest on the scruff of Linx's neck as he kneeled down beside the wolf. The man's fingers tangled in the fur.

"I want you to find Lavenda's daughter. She is the key to finding where Lavenda put her powers."

After carefully considering it, Linx bobbed his head in agreement. He shook off Haze's hand, and headed for the open door. There was a light breeze blowing through the city. It carried many scents on it and all he had to do was figure out which one was most like Lavenda's. He took a moment to sort through the different scents on the wind before he began moving toward the buildings at the edge of town. His pace was a slow trot as he moved through back streets, alley ways and across yards that looked like mini jungles. The scent led him to a dilapidated apartment building that looked like it was about to fall over. It floated down to him from a fourth floor window that was open.

As the sun began to sink below the tree line, he could hear voices from the window. He decided to settle down for the night and see what happened in the morning. A bush nearby offered a great cover for him to sleep in. He curled up in the slight hollow spot in the center of the bush. With a sigh, he put his head on his front paws and curled his tail around. Another long night of being in wolf form.

~*~

Dream rolled her shoulders. She needed sleep.

"I should get to bed." She said, hoping that Anubis took the hint.

"Do not worry about me." Anubis told her. "I am used to finding places for myself."

"Okay." She stood up.

He stood as well. "Sleep well. I shall see you in the morning."

Anubis walked to the door of the apartment. After walking into the hallway,and making sure she locked the door, he faded into the shadows. It was time for him to check the safety of the building before he headed off to feed. Nothing caught his attention as he patrolled the other floors. It wasn't until he had reached the side of the building that had Dream's window on it, that he found anything. A large wolf that wasn't native to the area was curled up in the cover of a dying bush. Anubis didn't stop his recon to check the wolf, but continued on his way around the rest of the building. The wolf may be a threat. That threat wouldn't be established tonight though. The rain would be a disadvantage to a wolf used to dry weather. It was best not to worry about it until it was an important happening.