Chapter 8 Part II

It was if he knew what I was thinking. "Of course, you're wondering what your part in this is, and I'm coming to that." He smiled at me before continuing, a smile that instantly put me at ease. "Now, several millennium ago, long before Zorfan appeared, the magic of our world created a special book for the Elders, although no one Elder could read the entire thing.  

"Most of the book was filled with information that helped my people live; how to plant crops, build homes and wagons, what to use as tools. These are the sections that the majority of the Elders can read. However, further in the book there are seven sections that are filled with what we once thought were stories. For each section, only one Elder can read it. And so, when it was first read thousands of years ago, these seven Elders shared the story with our people and it has become little more than a myth or folklore over the years.  

"The story talks about a man appearing who would come and take away the peace our world knew and would replace it with fear, hurt, and famine. When the story was first told, people tried to prepare for this, to repel this person, but as the story became folklore, the plans were forgotten and we lived in ignorance. And then Zorfan came, doing everything the story said he would do and we could do nothing to stop him. My people knew that the story was true, or at least this part of it.  

"They waited for hundreds years for the next part to come true, but have lost all hope that it could be true and most people have forgotten the story. You see, the story talks about a person coming who would save us from Zorfans oppression, a man who was courageous, valiant, wise, and strong. This would be the person who would destroy Zorfan and set our people back on the track of a peaceful life. " 

When he finally I paused, I spoke for the first time in several minutes. "So, let me guess. You think I'm this 'savior' of your world." My words were said sarcastically. I found this to be pretty funny. "There's a huge flaw in what you said. 'A man who was courageous, valiant, wise, and strong.' Of the five things mentioned in that statement, I am not one of them. Definitely not a man." 

Once more, he smiled. "You are quite right. You are not a man. As to the other things I mentioned, I think you have them all. In fact, I sent those men to attack you in the alley as a test to find out for sure." He paused, giving me time to react to that.  

I think he expected me to get mad at him, to yell or scream. Instead, I laughed. "So, you think a little fight proves I'm someone that I know I'm not?" 

"You may not believe it, but there are several things that tell me that you are the person whom I seek, the least of which is your fighting skills. In that alley, you showed that you were courageous and valiant when you protected your friend from three large men who were attacking." 

Again, I laughed. "That wasn't courage; it was fear. I was afraid. Fear drove me to protect myself and Jenny." 

"That's what it may seem like to you, but what I saw was true courage. You stood up against them, protected your friend, and in the end, were able to stop yourself from seriously injuring them, even when you had a knife pressed against the ones throat. That shows your wisdom." 

"Ok, fine. You seem to think I meet those 'qualifications', except being a man, which doesn't seem to bother you. What about the fact that I'm not even from your world." 

"That's a great question; one that I think will help you to believe. I mentioned before that there are seven sections that discuss these 'stories.' Well, I am one of the Elders who is able to read one of the sections, the section relating to finding the person our world began calling the promised one.  

"The first thing that the book revealed about the promised one is that they would come from another world and that I would need to travel there."