Veronica Mars

I thought my life's biggest problem was being dumped by my boyfriend, Duncan Kane. But of course, it couldn't just be that simple.

My best friend and Duncan's sister Lily Kane was murdered one year ago.

Sure, I'm the daughter of a Sheriff. Sure, we live in Neptune California, every girls dream town.

But my dad, Keith Mars, thought there was something more to it than that. And just like a good little Sheriff, he ran off and told everyone that Jake Kane was involved in Lily's murder. A week later, he was let go from the Sheriff's dept. and became a private investigator. Then, some say coincidentally, my mother Lianne Mars suddenly developed a drinking problem and left town.

Oh yeah, and just to prove I fit in, I went to Shelly's 09er party. I guess someone spiked my drink, because I woke up in a bed the next morning, and my underwear was beside it.

But, even though my dad wasn't a Sheriff, he continued to investigate the Lily Kane Murder.

Abel Koontz, a former Kane Software employee, was arrested and confessed to Lily's murder. But I found a picture of Lily's shoes in her room taken a week after the murder as evidence, and the exact same shoes were found on Abel Koontz's houseboat 1 week later. I continued to carry out my own private investigation of Lily's murder.

Yeah, I was Veronica Mars. A long time ago.