Chapter 1

Hello, do not get emotionally attached to this, I only wrote 3 chapters and now am posting them because I feel like it:)

July 1, 2208

Another birthday at the compound. My 16th. Or at least that's what they tell me. Nobody really knows when I was born. It's just another personality detail they've decided to give me. It's not like it matters much. There won't be anything different about this day compared to any other day here.

I sit down at a cafeteria table next to Veronica, who is my best friend, for all intents and purposes, here. She's smaller than most girls here, but she uses it to her advantage. It helps her slip away, unseen, when trouble of any sort occurs.

"Did you hear about the breakout plan for tonight?" she said as I started eating my beautiful birthday breakfast of green mush.

"No, who's it this time?" I ask;although, I'm not really interested. She starts rattleing on about who's planning what, and how she thinks that this plan could accually work. We've all tryed to break out of this place at one time or another, but we've faild so often that it's become nothing more than a recreational activity. We even construct a whole corridor breakout plan once a year.

Like some, sick celebration, we all wait and stratigize anxiously until the day that the plan turns into action and the action turns into failure. Everybody knows what happens,every year, same thing. Planing, excitement, failure. Planing, excitement, failure. Nobody ever quits. Except me. Last year I had enough, and I swore off breakouts. I always knew that they were pointless, that there were gapeing holes in thier plans, that they were the only sad attempt at hope that this place could muster. The only reason I ever played along was because I was stupid enough to believe in stuff like hope and working together. It's just a lot of junk that normal people rely on to get them through the day.

"So?" she said expectantly as I zoned back into the conversation.

"So what?" I asked in my half interested voice.

"Are you in?" she inquired very seriously.

I gave a short laugh and said with a voice steeped in sarcasm, "Yeah, that'd be a great birthday: a day with a seemingly endless amount of work towards a plan that will eventually fail, and then an insane amount of work and/or torture as a penalty." I continued on to say "There's a reason I stopped trying. It's hopeless. It never works, and it's not worth my pain or my time to try anymore."

"But I really think this one will work. I mean it sounds like it's a lot better planned out then they usually are." she pleaded. Veronica always was overly optimistic.

"I'm not going and that's final."

She suddenly lowered her voice, "I really think that they have a chance this time... If they had you."

"And that's exactly why I shouldn't do it. I don't want to draw attention to myself." People were turning around, interested to hear what we were whispering about.

"You didn't seem to mind drawing attention to yourself with that little stunt a few days ago." She raised her eyebrows. I had graffitied our corridor, slightly.

I rolled my eyes, "You know what I mean." At this point we had caught a guard's attention, he was coming nearer, no doubt to ask us to talk in a not-so-secretive manner(in which case I'd probably make some smart comment and ignore him).

"But," She started.

"Done" I said with a definite finality as the guard came up to us.

"Miss," he said towards me.