Chapter 7 & 8

Chapter 7

I walked to the end of the courtyard before I realised I had left my lunch with them and that for a moment I had hated Annabelle. I wasn't sure if I still did but I knew that I hated Kiara. She'd planned this whole thing, I knew it.  I was the only one that got on her nerves, argued with her, tested her. And she hated that. Towards the end of last year I had started to feel distant towards them, even Annabelle at times. I just had no idea that they shared these same feelings. They didn't mind seeing me go and that was what really annoyed me.

I walked into the main building and headed up the corridor with no destination in mind.

I put my hands in my skirt pocket and walked around aimlessly, recess had just started so I had plenty of time to try and kill.

People passed me by, walking in groups and their smiling faces brought me more gloom. The day had just started and already I wanted it to end.

I stood in front of a row of lockers and leaned my head against them. Students continued to walk past me, slightly blurring my vision but in the distance I saw a figure. Sitting on one of the benches in front of the walls of the corridor was someone. He was bent down, writing in a book.

I bounced off of the lockers and smiled slightly.

It was him.

I began to walk over, I didn't realise just how fast I was moving until I arrived in front of him only seconds later.

 "Hey," I said immediately.

He looked up and closed his book, smiling he said, "Hey."

Seeing him alone, sitting down, by himself, for some reason put me in a jovial mood. 

I sat beside him, "Hey," I said again.

"Hey," he replied.

I laughed nervously, "Sorry," I said. I was anxious again. It had been almost twenty four hours and again I wasn't used to being in his company.

He put his book in his lap and turned towards me slightly.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

I looked at him

"Yeah," I replied, my voice wavering.

At that statement I felt my eyes prickle with unbidden tears but blinked them back. I pulled my hand to my cheek and breathed in.

He sensed my discomfort and shifted a little on the bench.

"So," he said, attempting to change the subject.

"So," I nodded.

I felt like crap. I had five more hours in this stupid school, surrounded by stupid people who cared about stupid things while I worried about a bunch of stupid girls while I should have been worrying about my stupid History assignment that my stupid teacher decided to assign on the first day of school.

I sighed and leaned back against the wall. I felt bad though, my depressing mood was probably bringing him down too.

"So how was your day yesterday?" I asked. I sat up straight; I wasn't going to do that to him. It wasn╒t his fault I was annoyed and it wasn't fair for me to mope about around him.

"Pretty good," he said, looking down at his book again.

"Meet any interesting people?" I asked, nudging him with my shoulder.

He shook his head, "Just you," he said turning to me.

I wasn't sure if he was just saying it to be nice or if he meant it genuinely but I was flattered either way.