Chapter 16 - So About that Kiss

**i'm warning you it's unedited**

~~~~~~~~~~~

The town was pretty quiet by the time we reached its innermost streets. The majority of small diners and restaurants had already closed for the night and I was beginning to think that we'd have to turn back around and scavenge for food in the fridge and pantry. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded another helping of those pita chips.

A frown line grew between Gabe's eyebrows as he continued his search. "There's got to be at least one," he muttered, briefly stopping at a stop sign before rounding the corner.

"Hey, I don't mind eating at home," I said softly. I didn't want him to stress out over something as trivial as this. "What about you?"

He glanced sideways at me as he makes another left. With a slight smirk, he said, "If you aren't going to feed me those tomato pancakes you were planning on making, I'm down. But I'm not going till we absolutely can't find someplace to eat." Gabe catches my eye and pulls over on the side of the road. "Not because I think you're incapable of cooking."

"Well, thanks."

"I told you we were gonna go somewhere and eat, and I don't plan on going back on my word," he reassured. I think my stomach did a flip-flop. In a good way, though, like in anticipation. A boyish grin lit up his face as he peered at something down the street. "Bingo."

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Cherry's Market?" I asked incredulously. This was where that redhead had glared daggers at me for walking in with him. This was where Aaron had shouted through the car window and asked me out.

All good things, all good things.

Gabe shoved one hand in his pocket and used the other one to prop open the door for me. "Trust me."

I couldn't help listening to the tiny voice in the back of my mind as it retorted, And why should we?

With an exaggerated eye roll, I walked in the dilapidated store and got hit with the pungent odor of raw fish. "My God. It smells like a fishy massacre in here."

"That's because you're standing next to the tanks."

He made me wait on the bench just inside the doors while he went in and bought some things, saying that it was "a surprise" and that I wasn't allowed to see anything. Ten minutes later, Gabe was out, with a paper shopping bag in one hand. I followed him out to the car after asking him what he bought--no answer--and was completely mortified after I found my eyes straying to his pajama-clad butt.

My God.

I worked furiously to get rid of the faint blush staining my cheeks while climbing into the passenger's side and I didn't look him in the eye for the first half of the ride. I'd been shamelessly checking out his ass, for goodness' sake. Although, who could blame me? It looked awfully firm and--no, stop it, Rosie!

"You okay?" His voice interrupted the perverted thoughts and I twisted my head to look at him.

"I'm okay. That's the second time you've asked me in less than an hour," I commented offhandedly.

Gabe shrugged. "Sorry. It might become a habit if you keep making that face all the time." He took a right, away from the road that would've lead to the beach house, and I threw him a questioning look. "What?"

I wasn't even really concerned about this so-called "face" he was talking about. "Are you okay?" I blurted out, and it was his turn to glance at me, perplexed. There was a small smirk making its way onto his lips and I wasn't sure if that was a sign of ridicule or amusement. "I--I mean--"