Ch. 1 If I Die Young

"McKenzie, I know you don't want to start school just yet, but its the middle of their first nine weeks, and we have waited long enough to send you to school. Now get up and get dressed because we are taking you up to Greeneville High." I hear my mother on the other side of my new bedroom door.

I grunted and sat up in my bed, grabbing my purple star blanket and pulling it closer to my body, somehow hoping it would change my moms mind about sending me to school. We just recently moved to Tennessee and I was originally living in Ohio, and we just got off of school June 18th, while Tennessee schools got off on May 22nd, which meant my summer was being cut by a month and I was not thrilled about that.

Unfortunately my parents wanted to send me to the best school in Greene county, which meant I would be going to Greeneville High instead of any of the high school closest to me, like South Greene or Chuckey Doak, which also meant they had to pay another $1,000 dollars just to send me to this school. They said it was what was best for me, and since moms job was right across from the high school, she would be taking and picking me up every single day as she had to go to work. I would rather ride a bus then deal with my mother sending me off to school every morning. It makes me feel like a child, but because I didn't have my license quite yet, it meant she had to drive me to school.

I got up and stretched, stumbling a little bit from the stretch and going into my closet to look for the clothes I wanted to wear for the day. I searched through until I found my favorite pair of purple skinny jeans which were cut up. I also grabbed my favorite black veil brides shirt, which had purple in it, so it would match my pants. I then searched for my Black Veil Brides necklace, which was like the necklace Sandra Alva wears in the Perfect Weapon music video, and Andy wears it in other music videos, but that was the first one I saw with the necklace, so that's where I always place it.

Once I had my clothes picked out, I went out to my bathroom and walked in turning on the shower and waiting for the water to be just the right temperature for my liking. After placing my clothes from the previous night into the hamper, I hopped in and showered.

Once I was finished and dressed I went back into my bedroom and dried my hair then hooking up my curling iron to attempt to curl my hair, which I knew wouldn't work, but I'd take wavy hair too. As long as my hair wasn't straight like it always is, I would be happy about it anything. Once I was finished with my hair, I applied eyeliner, purple eye shadow since I was in a purple kind of mood today, and put a little bit of mascara on and I decided that was enough for the first day of school.

I walked down the stairs and into our living room where my mother was, and she gave me a look of disapproval. She hated when I would wear my band t's but I didn't care what she thought about what I wore anymore. This was me and if she didn't want me to be me, then I would probably object more and become one of those bad teenagers that go behind their parents backs drinking and doing drugs.

"You know I don't like when you wear your band t's. Please go change into something better for your first day, Kenzie." She says, frowning at me.

"I'm not going to change, because I am not going to be someone I'm not at this school." I say.

"Kenzie we moved here for a new beginning. I don't want to have to move again for the same reason as we had to move this time." She says, looking at me with sorrow written all over her face.

We moved away from my old school in Ohio due to bullying, but no matter what, no matter where we move, no matter how I dress, I will always be bullied because of who I am.

"Mom, I know you are just trying to look out for me, but I don't care what they have to say about me. I can stand up for myself and I'll be fine." I say, trying not to upset her or myself.

"Kenzie, I just don't want them to hurt you. Those girls were going to kill you and we both know that." She says, getting up and sighing at me.

I shrugged and followed her out the door, hoping into her black kia sorento. She didn't say anything else to me and I didn't say anything else to her either. It was a quiet and awkward car ride, but I ignored it, and waited patiently to pull up into Greeneville High's parking lot. When we arrived I hopped out of the front seat and opened the back door to the passengers side and grabbed my backpack. It was filled with four binders, four notebooks, pencils, highlighters, erasers, and paper. Lots of paper.

We walked up to the front of the building, at least I thought it was the front. The school was so big compared to the other schools that were near our new house. It wasn't as big as my old school in Ohio, but it was definitely bigger than what I had expected the school to be. We walked to the office and they handed my mother some paperwork and told me to take a seat since school was already started and I wouldn't be able to just walk into my classroom. They wanted me to be showed around the school by another student.

Once my mother was done signing the paperwork, she kissed me on the head and told me to behave. The lady at the front of the of me handed me a paper and a lock. I looked, actually studied the paper, and found that it was my schedule and it also had my locker number on it, which was 293 and my combination code was 31, 5, 27.

"We have one of our best students coming to show you around. His name is Neil Perry. You'll like him and he'll be a true gentlemen to you, I promise. He is one of our best student for a reason. We hope you enjoy it here and that you don't have any problems, and if you do, don't be afraid to tell us. We are always here to listen." She says.

I smiled and nodded at her, even though I knew if I had any problems I wouldn't be running to anyone. I could take care of myself and I didn't need any adults help.

A boy walked into the office and he looked like he was looking for someone. I stood up and walked to him.

"Are you Neil Perry?" I ask, hoping that he was Neil.

He gave me the nicest smile I had ever seen from a guy, and his blue eyes were filled with happiness which made me happy.

"Yes I am, and I am taking it you are McKenzie Liddle, at least I hope you are because I don't be able to find her when the second period bell rings." He says smiling at me still.

"McKenzie Liddle at your service. I'm sorry to be a bother for taking you out of your first period class." I say, trying to give the handsome boy my best smile.

He had long-ish brown hair, very tall figure, an adorable face, and don't get me started with his blue eyes. I was always a sucker for blue eyes, and it was definitely a sucker for his blue eyes. He had a good fashion taste as well. He was wearing a gray V-neck shirt, black skinnies that were ripped almost exactly like mine, and he was wearing a pair of vans that were checkered black and white. He was very cute.

"So Kenzie, is it ok if I call you that?" He asks before continuing his question.

I nod and give him another smile, hoping he understood that it was ok for him to call me that

"Ok, what are your first and second period classes?" He asks me.

I looked down at my schedule and looked at my first and second periods.

"First is Geometry Honors with Mr. Victor, and second is English 2 Honors with Ms. Kirk.' I say, hoping that that was right.

"We have first and second together Kenzie. What's your third and fourth?" He asks, getting what I thought was a hopeful look on his face.

"Spanish 1 with Mrs. Carly and Physical Science honors with Mr. Coleman." I say while I look at my schedule.

"Now I see why they asked me to help you around school. We have every class together. Make sure to keep all your books with you because you will not have time to go to your classes and locker. Its one side of the school to the other." He says, walking out of the office and heading up some stairs.

I followed behind him, trying to keep up and not lose him because I would be screwed if I lost him. The bell rang just as I made it up the last step of the stairs and Neil slowed his pace so I could catch up with him and he led us off to our second period class.