Chapter 7

And finally Loki, makes his appearance… or, well, we see him. Not quite of his own choice, but…

Chapter 7

It was déjà vu all over again.

She felt him before she saw him, taking slow, cautious steps towards the only cell along the wall, hard concrete save for the square section of iron bars: the icy cold chill gave it away.

Her spine shivered she clenched her hands, trying to compose her fear. She was walking towards something that would scare her, something she knew would have a bad impact on her somehow, just like last time. Like last time, she was seeking it out. But there was more to this than morbid curiosity now.

She'd seen the panic in Thor's eyes when he couldn't find her, and she knew the fear she felt in her heart every time his brother's name was mentioned. She couldn't bear it anymore. She was going to meet her demons... and make peace with them.

Even though he wasn't trying to kill her, she still felt afraid, her heels making impossibly loud noises as she stepped closer. He was just trying to survive now... but the knowledge of what he was capable of, what he was willing to do... yes, that frightened her. But he was a strain she couldn't allow anymore.

Frigga and Odin refused to even mention him, too painful to do so. And with Thor distressed at the meetings dedicated to determine Loki's fate, this man was tearing her family apart even now.

So why the hell are you here?!

Good question, she answered the voice in her head dryly, hand reaching out to lightly press on the concrete of the wall.

She took a deep breath. He knew she was here. Frigga didn't wear heels and the men definitely did not. Then again, did he even know she was in Asgard? It didn't seem like he would be kept informed of gossip in here.

What would he look like? she suddenly wondered. He wouldn't be how she remembered him, well groomed in black and green leather. He wouldn't be in such good condition. And she was a little afraid to see to what extent that had fallen to. How did Asgard treat it's prisoners? She couldn't imagine it would be well, after all Loki had done.

Suck it up, a voice told her in her head. Face him. Her parted lips closed and she tensed her jaw boldly, straightening up. The voice was right.

She didn't know how long she had. What if Thor knew and came to find her, to take her away before she'd had a chance to say anything? It would all have been for nothing.

Her hand cupped over her bloated stomach. She had to start being the brave one. Soon there would be someone who would need her protection like she needed Thor's. Strength flooded inside her. There was nothing he could do to her, she told herself. She had guards and the bars and ... there was no part of this that left her vulnerable outside her own imagination.

She could do this - her heel clicked as she stepped forward, eyes swerving smoothly to the dark hole behind the bars.

Then she gasped.

Her heels clattered some more as she staggered back a step, simply horrified by what she saw. It was worse than she'd imagined.

A figure slumped in the middle of the dark cell, dressed in the same black and green she remembered him in... only torn and ripped, gashes of blood peeking through the gaps in material. Chains hung from the sides of the walls and led to two bony wrists in shackles, drawing Loki's arms from his sides. His head was bowed low but Maria could still see the grime, the cuts and bruises to his face.

And his eyes. They glowed up like angry green stars at her as she stepped into view and she felt the urge to run for the hills drill into her at the absolute hatred that bore into her.