Chapter 2: Awesomeness Runs In The Fam

"I'm really sorry I'm late," I said, bursting into the door of Cafe 247. Several eyes turned to me at once, including Edward's, the shop manager.

"No worries Miss Charlotte," he said, following me into the staff room. "You know you can always come to work at any time you want."

I sighed. "Edward, how many times do I have to tell you to not call me that? Charli is fine. And besides, whenever we're at work, I'm the employee and you're the boss."

"But miss.."

"But Edward.." I mimicked him, my lips stretching into a smirk.

One of the reasons why I didn't want to formalize things between us was the fact that he was only a few years older than me and it would be awkward if he kept on treating me like an older woman or something. See, Edward was one of C&C's scholars and he worked at the cafe for extra allowance because his parents couldn't afford to support him financially. He was really hardworking that's why he got promoted to manager real quick.

"Alright Charli," he said, folding his arms across his chest. "Now go and change your clothes and get back to work."

I grinned. "Yes, sir."

Hurriedly changing into my work uniform, I ran outside to help Grace and the crew.

"Hey, how's detention?"

I leaned against the wooden table that she was cleaning. "Uneventful," I muttered.

Grace chuckled. "Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?"

"Of course not," I answered. "I wasted an hour of my life doing nothing. How is that good?"

"Because..." she trailed off, leaving me to man the counter.

I grabbed a mop and started working but had to take a moment when I felt my phone vibrate from my jean pocket. I snuck outside the shop before fishing it out to accept the call.

"Hello?"

"Chaz," it was my brother Cole. He was the only one who called me that stupid nickname. "I can't pick you up later. I'm hanging at Gale's."

"Then I guess I'll just have to take the bus," I answered.

"No, someone else is picking you up."

"Who-" Before I could complete my question, he hung up on me. Great, I thought. Nice brother, he is. Pocketing my phone, I went back inside and continued where I left off.

An hour of serving coffee and wiping tables after, our shift has ended so Grace and I immediately changed into our regular clothes and prepared to leave.

"My brother's picking me up, wanna come with us?" Grace politely offered. We were standing outside the shop, waiting for our rides. "We can drive you home."

"No, it's fine. My friend's picking me up," I told her, although I had zero idea who Cole sent to come and pick me. "Thanks for the offer, though."

A few minutes after, an old beat-up Chevy parked in front of the cafe, and Jake, Grace's older brother, rolled down the window to wave at us. "Hey Charles," he greeted. "'Sup?"

"I'm good," I answered. "How's college?"

"Not easy," he said, grinning. He then turned to Grace and motioned for her to hop in.

"Are you sure you're not coming?" Grace asked as soon as she climbed into the passenger seat.

I shook my head. "I'm fine, you two go ahead."

"Okay, see you tomorrow. Bye Charles."

I waved at them as their car started to leave, and went to sit on the bench afterwards. I was about to text Cole when another car stopped in front of me, but instead of an old Chevy, it was a sleek-looking BMW.