Chapter 6: Carnations

Author's Note: Substantial comments will get you the next chapter. Thanks!

 Chapter 6: Carnations

The second week in February, the guys were acting weird. Their conversations would stop when Mellie showed up. They were still welcoming and spoke to her. It was just odd because in the past they would keep talking, nod to her, and pull her into whatever discussion they were having. The other girls reported the same phenomenon. Mellie didn't understand it and thought they were up to something but couldn't imagine what it could be. She just hoped it wasn't some kind of real trouble that she would disapprove of.

On February 14, a Friday, Mellie walked into school to find it decorated in pink, red, and white. Several people were carrying large batches of flowers and heart shaped balloons around. She had forgotten about Valentine's Day, not being a holiday she generally participated in. Beyond noticing the changes, she intended to go on with her day as normal. In homeroom, a guy and girl were standing up front holding bunches of the flowers and balloons Mellie had noticed. Now she remembered order forms to purchase these as gifts the week before. She had thrown hers away without a thought. As the teacher called roll, they delivered some of these, obviously addressed to the person called.

"Melanie Caden," was called fifth. She said, "Present," and was surprised when the teacher didn't immediately call the next name. Both the girl and guy approached her and handed her one red carnation, three white carnations, and a balloon. Each had notes attached. Mellie was shocked. She looked at Marissa who was sitting next to her. Marissa smiled at her. Many others were smiling at her as well. Jake was staring at her with a frown. The teacher continued, and Mellie paid more attention to the deliveries. Most people got one flower, sometimes with a balloon. She had to hold onto her balloon so it didn't float away and was a little wary of opening the attached notes in class.

Later, when "Marissa Sawyer" was called, Marissa was given the same flowers and balloon combination as Mellie. Unlike Mellie, Marissa began opening her notes right away, starting with the balloon. Whatever she read made her smile a great deal. Mellie looked at Ryan who was sitting behind Marissa. He was chewing on his lower lip, and his left knee was bouncing a mile a minute beneath his desk. As soon as the bell rang, Ryan ran out of the room as quickly as possible, which was very odd.

At a more leisurely pace, Mellie went to her locker and carefully let the balloon float to the top. Setting the flowers inside, she read the note attached to the balloon's string: "Mellie, please attend our small and quiet Valentine's Day party at Jax's garage tonight at 7PM. – The GNPWTCOTFITON Genus". She laughed softly when she figured out that stood for "genuinely nice people who take care of their friends in times of need".

The note on the first white carnation read: "Dearest Mellie, you're an awesome friend. I'm so glad you moved here this year. Happy Valentine's Day! – Ryan". Mellie smiled.

The second read: "To my groupie Mellie, you rock and I wub you. Happy Wub Day. – Keyon". Mellie laughed.

The third read: "To Mellie, you're as sweet and pure as this flower. I'm so happy you're my friend. Your true friend always – Eric".

She smiled again and picked up the red carnation, figuring it was from Jax. The note read: "Mellie, this flower is red, I'm blue, we're supposed to be friends, but I'm in love with you." She gasped softly, shook her head slightly to clear it, and reread the last part. Yep, that's what it said. She continued reading. "I also stuck a red envelope through the slots in your locker. Look for it there and read it before Psych. – Jax".

She hadn't noticed an envelope, so she moved the flowers around to check but didn't see it. Just as the bell rang, she spotted it at the back of her locker on top of her books. She grabbed it and opened it, uncaring if she was late to class. It contained a Valentine's Day card with a cute kitten dragging a red rose in its mouth. She opened the card and saw a note written on the inside: "Mellie my love, When I first spotted you across the street, you were covered in sweat and dirt. It was ground into your white tank top and jean shorts and smears of dirt were on your arms, legs, and face. I thought you were the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I've seen you dirty, smelly, and in pain – all beautiful, but man when you smile – I'm a goner. I thought you deserved better than me, an outcast, and tried to stay away, but I can't resist any longer. I may not be good enough for you, but I promise to be the very best boyfriend I can be and to take very good care of your heart if you give it to me. Be my Valentine? If yes, wear the red carnation in your hair. If maybe, like you need time to think about it but I shouldn't lose hope, wear a white one. Love (seriously), Jax".