Book 2: Chapter 53

Like As The Waves Make Towards The Pebbled Shore

"Naya, you just keep walking away," Glacialis said with his back flat to the ground and his body pinned down by the combined weights of both Agu and Nortis, "Walk away until you're out of sight. Walk away, if you don't want your blood spilled all over this island."

"Fool!" Agu muttered and averted his gaze to ensure that Naya and the paramedics had exited the colosseum. He then arose and walked to the edge of the concrete battle square. He kept a careful eye on Glacialis nonetheless. After Naya and paramedics had left, Nortis stood up as well.  

A few moments later, Glacialis arose. He patted himself clean and slowly glanced at all standing in the colloseum. First, at Agu, then Nortis, then Basileus and finally at Lae. His eyes remained here.

"Nortis." He called out.

"Anoti!" Nortis replied.

"Put an end to him." Glacialis said solemnly but now he was pointing at Basileus who was still standing.

Nortis hesitated for a few seconds and then said, "Anoti, why don't we just take on Lae and win this match?"

Glacialis did not reply. He kept his gaze fixed on Lae. Nortis sighed deeply and said, "Alright, alright."

He began walking towards Basileus when Agu stepped in his way. Nortis halted, heaved and was about to say something but  Glacialis spoke first, "Agu, last I checked, you are a referee. Nortis is a legal player in the game now. To fight him will be to break the rules."

"Tehilia just tried to kill people." Agu replied with calm, "You wanna talk to me about breaking rules?"

"Hate it or love it, I can't remember rules banning the venom. And I had no idea she was going to do that . . . but if you want to talk about trying to kill people, what in the world did Naya just try to do?"

"Listen to me you proud frozen bastard, Tehilia used the black hole venom twice. Twice Glacialis. She used it twice on two different people. Naya would not have done that if Tehilia had behaved." Agu continued, "Two members of their team is out because of the capriciousness of one of your team mates. No, Glacialis. Nobody is touching Basileus and that is all there is to that."

And then all the members of the Ministry of Defense surrounded the stadium even Jibunna was among their number. They were willing to begin an all-out war should Glacialis defy their leader.

"Agu, please step aside," Nortis said calmly, "I know you won the games last year but this year is different."

"Why don't you put that devilishly polite tongue back into your mouth? You see, you don't get it, do you?" Agu said, "This is not about the game anymore. It is about being the Minister of Defense and acting in the best interest of the tournament and of the school."

The crowd, the school, booed him at that one.

"SHUT UP ALL YOU IMBECILIC PUPPETS." He bellowed as he turned and faced the audience and they all fell silent. No one wanted to be made examples of. Agu turned back to Glacialis, "Glacialis, naturally, I would love to disqualify you. But rest assured that Tehilia would never set foot in this stadium again. As for this game, I am now saying that Basileus is no longer fair game.  I've always respected you and you know I do. But if you really think that you are some bully, that you can treat me as you treated Basileus then try and defy me on this point. Beat Laetissimus all you want, leave Basileus alone."

"Nortis." Glacialis said, "You are the Vice Prime Minister, what do you think?"

Nortis walked slowly to Glacialis. They were the only two of the Frozen Mist left. And as Nortis walked over to Glacialis, Lae could hear pandemonium build at the outskirts of the colosseum as members of the house of Darwin matched in to defend their leader - Glacialis.