Unhealthy protection

Several months before the end of school...

A meeting of utmost importance was announced in then amphitheater for all those who had some relation of near or far with the play. Several things had happened since the last incident. Some actors had to be quickly replaced. One of the technicians was practically electrocuted when he was doing some tests. While people responsible for the decoration were painting a blue platform, a whole pot fell on much of the costumes which were there by chance where the rack wasn't supposed to be.

Secretly, Erika wanted to stop everything. She had enough of practices that not ended. Nothing worked and she felt like wasting her time. She discussed it with Anthony. He suggested her to do as she wished. It wasn't his decision and he supported her regardless. She had to announce it to the director the same day.

"He loves to make an entrance..." Erika muttered, sighing.

She took a quick glance at Chloe. The latter carefully read an email from her brother.

"Good news?"

"He misses me a lot."

"When will he be back?" her friend asked, wrapping a strand of hair around her finger. "Was he forced to leave?"

"He only was on leave."

"Too bad he can't come to see you more often."

"Why do you say that?"

Erika bit her lower lip, immediately regretting what she had just said. In the last month, they had resumed their friendship. They spent a little more time together and Chloe was glad of that change. Sometimes it was a bit like her friend preferred to be with Anthony because she talked about him a lot. Erika always wished that her boyfriend and her best friend could get along. Their relationship had improved a little, but there was still a tension between them. Anthony was a bit overprotective with Chloe, acting much like her brother. The girl hated when he did that. But Erika thought her friend isolated herself since the incident. Seeing Vincent would surely make her happy.

"Just because you miss him too, That's it."

The director finally came one stage like he was a superstar that his fans were waiting impatiently. He raised his arms and asked them to sit. The two girls looked at each other before giggling. Not paying attention to the sounds around him, he began his speech he seemed to have learned by heart.

"That you all for coming. Don't worry: it'll be very short."

There was a murmur among those who were there. In fact, not one student took him seriously. It wasn't the first time he promised them to be brief.

"Everyone remembers all the little... incidents we have known."

The students nodded, approving what he had just said.

"I made a decision," the director continued, "and I'm telling it to you. This project is canceled."

A protest wave went around the room, forcing the man to speak up.

"I found that the earlier incidents were signs. This play is simply cursed and shouldn't take place. You have worked hard, but the signs are there. Thank you for your time."

He clapped in his hands before heading to the backstage, visibly emotional. Erika frowned while deeply sighing. She turned to Chloe before getting on her feet. Her friend did the same a few seconds later.

"At least," Erika began, taking her bag, "I don't have to tell him that I'm leaving the play."

Chloe looked very surprised to learn that. Erika became aware that she hadn't even talked to her best friend. Moreover, the latter remarked it to her. Erika shrugged slightly, apologizing to her. Her friend seemed to reflect for a short time before answering: