Sock's POV

"I don't understand why we're coming up here," Jonathan huffed dragging his heavy duffle bag into the old cabin. This cabin brought such fond memories to Sock who used to come here with his Great-Uncle Maxwell. Sock had to admit, the cabin had seen better days but was still in good shape for being left alone close to a decade. The drive up here was three hours from the town they settled in.

The thump of Jonathan's bag hitting the wooden floor brought Sock's attention to the disgruntled blond. "Come on Jonathan," Sock smiled swinging his two smaller bags around, "a little R&R would be great. It's summer. Can't we have a weekend getaway?"

"Besides, it's been forever since I was here," Sock proceeded with a pout before a smile broke through. "You should totally see the lake. With this heatwave the cool lake water is a blessing. So quit whining and enjoy it already."

Sock could see Jonathan internally agree to the points he was making though he tried to hide it. He was probably annoyed about making the trip up here. Their work had its ups and downs, Sock in retail and Jonathan in the moving company, and with Jonathan working outside more now with summer, Sock thought he should use the weekend to relax away from the city heat. That was why he suggested the cabin with the lake for their weekend vacation until they headed back Sunday afternoon.

Jonathan quirked his mouth into a small smile but tried to keep his sour tone, "Fine, have it your way. Just don't expect me to cook anything while we're here."

Sock grinned. Turning his back on Jonathan mumbling loudly, "it's not like you cook well anyways."

"What was that?" Jonathan challenged.

Sock threw back a cheeky grin, "We both know who the better cook is between the two. Plus, the last time you tried cooking up something we got food poisoning."

"That was one time," Jonathan gaped at him his face turning pink, "how was I supposed to know you don't cook fish like that?" He huffed trying to hide the blush that was creeping up his face, "You're never gonna let me live that down, are you?"

"Nope," Sock smiled cockily. "So for now on, I'm doing the cooking."

Jonathan shrugged nonchalant, "fine by me." Jonathan took the opportunity to take their stuff into the room and pack away his stuff before going back out to collect the food for the weekend. Sock went around the place cleaning up and turning on the generator to power the cabin.

After a while and they've made themselves comfortable for the weekend Sock had already put on his swimming trucks and was cajoling Jonathan to join him for a dip in the lake. "Come on Jonathan, its hot outside. Go swimming with me, please?"

Jonathan was hesitating on whether to accompany and Sock was using it to his advantage that Jonathan was wavering. Another plea and a flash at those puppy dog eyes and Jonathan folded. "Fine, let me go get changed."

Sock cheered bouncing on his feet for a few seconds that interrupted when from the other boy's pocket rang. "I thought you said you didn't have service up here?"

"I thought so too," Jonathan mumbled looking at his phone to see who it was. He frowned, "its Providence. I'll just ignore it."

"Don't be rude. Answer it," Sock replied. Hesitant Jonathan sighed in resignation and answered.

"Hey Providence, what's up?" Jonathan answered taking a seat on the couch. In the six months since they left Jonathan had gotten a few calls from her. Most tended to last fifteen minutes and one an hour. Sock was willing to go into the kitchen and wait it out.

I wonder how strict the 'no swimming after a snack' rule is, Sock thought as he took a bite from the cookie he grabbed. When he heard a loud 'what' in the living room, he dropped the cookie on the counter. Sock made his way back into the other room now worried over the telephone conversation.