Prologue

Monday morning I received a text from my best friend to go to her in the girl's restroom on the third floor of our school. I wasn't even out of bed when I received this so my plan was to just ignore it and say sorry to her later when I do get to school. But that plan changed when she sent another text telling me to hurry. Again, I would've ignored it if it weren't for the way she texted it to me. That sent me into a frenzy of trying to get ready and gathering my stuff. Five minutes later I was out the door and on my way to school. Usually it would take me twenty minutes to get there considering that I always stop over somewhere to get breakfast but today was an exception. I arrived at school in ten minutes flat, immediately seeking out Veronica.

Veronica would always be early, seeing that she's the head cheerleader and they have practice in the morning. She persistently tried getting me to join the cheer leading team during our freshman year but hell no. I value my sleep, thank you very much. And no, she's not the biggest bitch at school if that's what you're thinking; leave that title to Celine Fraye. I'd have to tell you some time but not now. I have a crisis at my hands.

Now that I've said that, I wonder why she's extra early. There's barely a living soul in the school at this godforsaken hour, minus the janitor. Normally she'd be here thirty minutes later. Something was definitely wrong with her. Upon reaching the door of the restroom, I tried turning the knob but it was locked and someone was definitely crying inside. Softly I knocked on the door and called out to her.

"Vee? C'mon it's me, you can open up now." I leaned my forehead on the door-I don't know why but I did- my hand on the knob. There was shuffling before the door's lock opened. Hastily, I opened the door careful not to hit Veronica if ever she was near the door. When I saw her slumped on the bathroom floor, my heart felt like it was breaking for her. She looked so broken and defeated. I immediately sat next to her and cradled her to my chest. She cried even more and I absolutely have no idea how to fix this. I have never seen her like this, all frumpled and frazzled. The breakups and heartaches she experienced all throughout middle school and high school paled in comparison as to what is happening right now. She didn't even have her uniform on nor did she apply makeup.

I started shushing her to calm her down. "Shhh... Don't worry, I'm here for you. I'm here for you." smoothing out her hair in the process. I just held her like that until she broke away calmer but still crying.

"Oh Maya! I don't know what to do!" she wailed, her lips trembled and  her face scrunched up. "M-my p-parents a-are getting d-divorced. They were f-fighting a lot these past few m-months a-and they were s-screaming a-and mom was throwing things a-at dad. Oh god! I c-can't! I can't imagine my parents sp-splitting u-up.Maya I just c-can't." As she was telling me this her sobs became worse as she continued. Veronica clutched onto me for dear life and I never had the urge to let her go. Just as I was about to tell her that everything will be alright she started with another problem. This time a little bit less dramatic but it's more blood curdling.

"A-and o-n top of that A-Austin b-broke u-up with m-me l-last night! Th-that bastard t-told me h-he still l-loves me b-but he n-needs s-space! Space! What d-did I d-do t-to m-make him f-feel l-like h-he n-needs space? Oh god. My life is f-falling apart! I can't take this Maya! Make it all g-go away! Make it go away Maya!" She clutched onto me as if I was the only thing keeping her sane. My heart was breaking for my best friend. If there was anything, and I really mean anything at all, that I can do to make all her problems go away, I would do it. All I knew was just to hold her tight and make sure she can handle this. I'd be there for her a hundred and twenty percent. Even if I do want to cry with her, I knew she needed somebody strong to lean on in these times. And that I did.

Shushing Veronica I began telling her that everything will be fine, that I'm here for her and that whatever she needed all she has to do is ask. When she seemed to be stable we began fixing her up, she didn't want anybody to see her such as mess as she did right at that moment. I'd be like social suicide for her (her words not mine). As much as I liked seeing her crack a joke, I only frowned at this because for fuck's sake! She's human! Of course she'll  be hurt from time to time. But that's Veronica for you, always keeping that happy and sunshine-y exterior even if she's already feeling like hell inside. The only person she ever showed what she really felt inside was me.

"You know, you can always just drop everything and focus on just yourself right now. I'm sure your minions will understand once you explain to them what's really happening." I told her as I dabbed concealer under her eyes to hide the redness as much a possible.

All she did was stare at me with sad eyes. "I wish it was that simple but reality doesn't give you that luxury." In return I gave a nod because God knows how much I know that that is true. "And..." ,she dragged the word to put emphasis to it, " they're not ' my minions'."  she rolled her eyes.

"Really?" I gave her a deadpan look. "Then what are they? Your henchmen? Disciples?" I was already giggling up at that silly thought. I broke out into a full out laugh and I can see that Vee was already breaking into a small smile but she was trying her hardest to fight it and give me a serious look. "Okay.. Okay... What about followers? Yeah. That's sounds pretty normal to me." 

She smacked my arm and it hurt quite a bit but I sucked it up because again, I'd do anything to cheer her up. It seems like it's working. "Seriously Maya? I told you already; they're not any of those things and I don't know if I want to do that. There's too much for me to leave behind if I do that." Her tone turning back into a sad one. I stare at her for a moment. God, it really does break my heart to see someone so vibrant and bubbly be like... this. Quickly pulling her into a hug, I stroke her back to let her know that I'm here for her.