Prologue

Prologue.

Her body is stone cold, her eyes closed  and hidden under her long, lace-like lashes. She is still. I might worry that I've killed her; but the unmistakable sound of a drowning heart pounds in my ears. I have never cared about killing a human before, I've drained the life out of so many mortals without a care. But this time it feels different, I don't know why. I feel sympathetic, yes sympathetic! My cruel mind seems to wish it had never harmed the girl, and I don't understand why. Maybe it's because she looks as though she's having a painfully slow death. Most of my kills are quick, the humans hardly ever see me coming; I snap their necks before they even see my shadow. But this mortal...this girl, she is still alive and suffering. I was reckless, driven wildly by the anger only grief and vengeance can conjure. I wanted her to be in pain, as my dear Brother had been in pain at her hands. But, when I tasted her blood it was revolting - a taste worse than werewolf crap in my mouth. Then, being reckless once again, I had thrown her body onto the floor like an unwanted toy. I had been about to turn to walk away when she started wreathing around on the floor, she seemed to struggle for a while, then appeared dead. But as I said before, her stupid mortal heart is still beating like a drum. So here I am stood before her, waiting for something, some movement; anything. But I know what's happening, for this happened to me. As I watched beautiful skin grow paler I knew that by my carelessness I had caused her to begin the change into the monster that I am. Films make this process look so painless, but I know that in her mind she can feel my venom rushing under her skin, burning like acid. The pain she is feeling from my venom is so excruciating, that I could skin her alive now and she wouldn't feel it. She can only feel the venom, eating away at her body and soul. She will not die tonight. Well, technically she will but there's no need to be a smart ass. She's going to start a new life, as a demonic creature just like myself; and looking at her now I know she'll be a great one. The snow has began to tangle her hair, which has become much more thick and darkened in colour. Snowflakes bury her delicate hands and settle on her, masking her face and blinding her eyes. Blood from her neck drips into the snow, staining it red. This winter child's life ends and begins again in the snow. I know she'll survive the change, she's a strong girl. I think again what a remarkable vampire she'll become, she was already feared enough as a mortal. The sound of footsteps approaching snap me out of my trance I know I must leave the sleeping angel, but the mortals will find her body and bury her, which would be inconvenient. The girl is my problem now, I am her Master and is my Fledgling. I lift her gentle frame and make my way through the snow, at a speed too quick for the mortal to see, until I see the beautiful reflections of a lake coated with ice. Using my right foot, I stomp through the thick ice, barely noticing the fatally cold water as it washes over my skin. Then, taking one last look at her changing features, I dropped the girl into the water. Her blood begins to mix with the water and I worry for moment that her body will be discovered. I have to trust my instincts that no one will walk this way in this dire weather. Slowly and reluctantly, I walk away from Scarlett Winter.