The Dream Catcher

Hey hey :)

This is a really short but interesting story, so please read on!!! It may seem a bit confusing to some of you, but some parts are meant for your imagination :))

COVER- can anyone make me a cover for this?? Like, maybe a blue dreamcatcher or something....

Anyways, get your reading on!!!

Thankyouu  XX

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I drifted lazily down the next street, scanning the line of houses one of which would hold my next victim. I settled for an elaborate double-story house with a large front garden. As I breezed through the open window on that warm, starry night I sensed two children. I floated down the large hallway and up the wide staircase in the middle of the house. I came to a door with a photograph of two fourteen year old girls blue tacked to it and entered as silently as dawn. I had never regret my work, what I did all of my existence of forever. I was banished to a world where it was my job to trap people, adult, children, babies, yet I was trapped myself in my own inescapable universe. As I entered the girl’s peaceful, dreamless sleep, I paused for a moment to imagine her life, so fulfilling and eventful, a life so different to mine, so different to the life of a dream.

I had never visited the local High School of the small, country town that was Rosewood. I don’t know why I hadn’t but that night when I’d trapped that girl in a dream, I’d felt a connection, an urge, a curiosity that lead me to following her to school. I didn’t have anything better to do and it was a change from wandering the streets aimlessly, waiting for night to fall.

There were people everywhere! They were leaning against the lockers in the corridor, crowding the doorways to the classrooms and sitting in small groups throughout the school grounds. I followed the girl who I’d visited last night as she walked through the grounds and into the main building. She was easy to keep track of with her jet black hair, pretty pale skin and her hazel-golden eyes.

“Eve!” a voice yelled above all the noise. The dark haired girl turned around at the name and smiled at another girl a few lockers down.

“Hey Beth, there you are! Come on, let’s get out of this crowd,” Eve called back to her friend, the same friend from the photograph on her door.

I followed from a distance but could hear their voices clearly once inside the classroom. I could hear Eve describing her last night’s dream to Beth, the dream where she had made a friend and talked to that friend for hours. I guess it was quite an unusual dream for me to be because I had never been a friend to someone in a dream before. But there’s a first time for everything.

I couldn’t help but bend the rules a little, if we dreams actually had rules, but I simply had to visit Eve’s sleep the next night. So that is what I did. Her family were quite well off; they lived in the best part of Rosewood and had a large, spacious house. I ascended the stairs for the second time and passed other doors leading off to other rooms. I entered Eve’s room and noticed things I hadn’t noticed the previous night, like the pale purple walls, the white furniture, the posters on one wall and the white, fluffy rug in the centre of the room. I then became her dream again and became that new friend she had made. I learnt her favourite movies, the food she hated, when her birthday was and what her dreams were. I had never had a friend before, no dreams had friends, we weren’t supposed to. However I kept revisiting her sleep, for weeks and weeks. She didn’t remember it every morning, no human remembered every dream they had but I had created a special bond with Eve, a friendship that was something no dream had ever achieved before.

I soon found myself daydreaming about human life; I wanted to be human, to have friends, a family, a beginning and an end. Dreams existed forever, we weren’t alive, we weren’t real and I longed for a real friendship with Eve.

I watched her life, day by day and envied her. How her family would sit in the dining room chattering and laughing while eating a variety of colourful, exciting foods.

“How was school?” Eve’s mum would ask her every afternoon when she walked in the door and how Eve would casually answer, “It was alright,” or just a plain, “good.”

I wanted that, a mother who cared for me, an opportunity to answer questions and speak my opinion. I wondered if dreams had a God they could pray to if they needed help or guidance. If there really was a Dream God they definitely would’ve heard my prayers loud and clear, straight from my heart.

I waited silently for Eve to fall asleep on another warm, still summer night. As I was waiting impatiently I glanced at the large, open window opposite the white bed and a slight movement caught my sight. It was Eve’s sky-blue dream catcher, slowly spinning around in circles. There was no wind to cause this, instead I could feel something much more powerful. It started off slowly but as I got more and more intrigued by it, it spun faster and faster. A strong force suddenly caused the curtains to billow like white ghosts, the paper on Eve’s desk to fly all over the room and the dream catcher to swing wildly. I felt dizzy and faint, all I could see was sky-blue spinning and spinning, forever spinning and spinning…

“Eve! Wake up, don’t be late for school!”

Eve jolted awake at the sound of her name and squinted at the bright sunlight streaming in from her white curtains and shining on her pale purple walls. She slowly got out of bed and as she pulled back the light curtains to let all the light in, a slight movement caught her eye. It was her sky-blue dream catcher gently swaying in the sunlight.

Brushing her black hair out of her eyes, Eve browsed the shelves and was scanning for a book to read when she noticed the girl. She was at the opposite end of the row, her long blond hair braided down her back. Eve recognised that girl from somewhere, she felt as if she knew her, like they had met somewhere before. The girl looked up and met Eve’s eyes with her own deep blue ones. She smiled and walked forward.

“My name’s Sky,” she announced warmly, extending her hand. “I have a feeling we’re going to be great friends,” she then added with a knowing glint in her sky-blue eyes.