Chapter 2: This is Why We Leave It to the Comic Heroes

"We need a theme song," I said proudly. "Hurry up, Fay! Hook up the radio! We need to be active superheroes!" She laughed at me.

"Since when are you Captain America?"

"Since now."

"I hooked it up, and it's on."

"Tune it."

"So much static."

"You said you wanted to be in charge of the radio!"

"I say things...hey, it's on the police channel."

We sat down in grey, metal folding chairs. Fay was pulling at her spandex leggings. I kept my hand on the dial of the radio. It's one of those ham radios that can pick up frequencies. Anyway, it was mostly reports on crimes that we couldn't really do much about. A drunk driver, some idiot stealing a pack of gum, and others. Finally, we found what we were looking for. A man's voice screeched through the speaker. "Requesting back-up! Robbery at Founding States Bank! We have a slight visual on the perpetrator. Five foot two, Caucasian female, looks about seventeen years old. Fleeing the scene. We're on the pursuit on Summer Street. Over." I leapt out of my chair. "C'mon! To the Siren-Mobile!" Fay did the classic facepalm. "We can't drive or afford a car."  My "trusty" sidekick was starting to let me down. "To the Bike...er...Mobile?"

After parking our bikes where they are likely to be stolen, since crime rates are high in our town, we hid in the epitamy of a dark alley. I watched the movement out on the street. Summer Street goes down pretty far, but I was sure the girl would turn up. As it turns out, I was right. She was definitely a strange sight. Her hair was dyed bright purple, and reached to the middle of her neck in a bob with side bangs. Her eyes were light pink, and her skin unnaturally pale. But the creepiest aspect was her face. She had jewels sown in around her eyes, going down her cheek. She wore a purple dress with thin straps and an open black trench coat. She carried a brown staff and wore black heeled boots. Beautiful, yet evil. She was running towards the bank, while carrying a bag of cash. I wondered why she wouldn't be escaping, and how she ran so fast in those boots. I tripped every once in a while in mine, so I replace the soles. The girl slipped something out of her pocket: a black sphere. She flung it towards a mass of police crusiers surrounding the bank, and shouted, "Foolish humans! I'm stronger, I'm smarter, I'm better. You'll all bow to me...someday." The black sphere was...a grenade of some sort! It rolled to the officers' feet and exploded in flames. The cars were turned over from the force of the explosion, and cops lay on the ground gasping for air. Fay screamed. "We have to stop her from getting into the bank!" I shook my head. "No! Help the police!"

I sprinted towards the cop cars. I hadn't tried my newly-found powers on a large scale operation yet. I blinked hard, and sang whatever song lyrics came to my head. But I seemed to make everything worse. The fire grew larger. I realized it was my mood. I was too nervous to being peace; I was only bringing destruction. I thought of happy things, (which are my definition of happy), superheroes, and how I would be one. The fire seemed to evaporate...if that's even possible. The cars turned right-side up and revved their engines. The officers sat up, and coughed their last cough, (no, they didn't die! I cleared their lungs.) The Lieutenant pointed at me, and managed to mutter in a scratchy voice, "You...you saved us. What's your name?" 

"Ste-" I began, but paused. A good hero never reveals themself. "Siren," I said firmly, "I'm protecting this town, along with my sidekick, Fay. And we won't stop until that girl is behind bars." He stood, and shook my hand. "That girl has been identified as Bliss, a villain with unnatural powers. She decays all life she touches." Suddenly, my mind flashed back to when I first saw Bliss. She had been wearing black gloves. "Thanks for the info. You can count on us." I turned to Fay, who was guiding broken pieces of the bank building back into place, until the building was repaired. She looked at me, a little astonished. "Steph...how did you do that? That was impossi-" I cut her off.

"Take out the 'im'. It's possible."