Chapter Eight: Dumbledore's Dismissal

Knock. Knock.

“Please come in,” Dumbledore’s voice spoke from the other side of the door.

Cornelius Fudge stepped through the threshold of Dumbledore’s office, a large case clutched in his hands. He greeted Dumbledore in a quick bow of his head, his eyes scanning the room briefly before dropping back to his feet. He strode past the other teachers of Hogwarts to find his seat at the other end of the table. With a flick of his wand, Fudge’s case found its way to the table’s surface and clicked open to reveal a bundle of rolled up parchments. One floated forwards and unrolled itself before Fudge’s eyes.

His hoarse and recently, insincere voice began to speak for the first time since he Apparated outside the gates of Hogwarts.

“On May the third, Orsay Westwall was found dead on the second floor corridor of Hogwarts. She was murdered…” The formality of his voice died out as the words, “dear God, what is going on Dumbledore?” stumbled from his lips.

The case that had been travelling along the table, delivering more scrolls to each of the teachers reached the other end of the table to where Dumbledore sat, his hands perched in what could have been evil contemplation, but what was really contemplating the evil that had passed. A scroll was caught by an old but strong hand.

“Well, Minister. We have a murderer at Hogwarts.” 

“And I believe you have a plan,” the Minister coughed. 

“You were the one that suggested your official would help, Minister,” Professor McGonagall spoke, her lips pursed. 

“I know, Minerva…” Fudge trailed off and pretended to read the scroll in front of him. “Look, the Dementors can be sent to Hogwarts in the morning.”

“Yes, because they were very successful last time,” McGonagall noted, an eyebrow rose.

“I’ve done everything in my power. I cannot do more.”

“You are right, Cornelius,” Dumbledore said. “You have done all that you can. We all have. And this cannot continue. For now, Hogwarts is clo-”

But Dumbledore was interrupted by the owl that had soared in through the open window. Fudge jumped upon the owl’s first hoot and was alarmed when it dropped a note that landed right in front of him. He reached forward shakily to read the note.

After some mumbling he announced, “Dumbledore, we must leave for the Ministry immediately. I’, sorry to interrupt our meeting but it is urgent, I’m afraid.”

“Minister,” sneered the Potions Master from the centre of the table, “are you aware of the situation at Hogwarts?”

“Of course I am, Severus, and I shall send a Headmaster to substitute for Dumbledore whilst he is absent.” Fudge arose from his seat to join Dumbledore.

“Hogwarts will remain as it is for now,” Dumbledore said. “I will be back as quickly as possible. I put my trust in every single on of you.” And with that he had taken Fudge by the arm and Dissapparated. 

The assembly was over. It took the Professors a few moments to rise before heading towards a long night of patrolling the grounds and castle of Hogwarts.