Chapter 26

Unedited.

Should I enter the Watty's with this? I doubt I'll win anything with it, but I wanted to put it out there. I'd love to know it you think I should!

And I'm sorry for the long wait! I've just gone back to school after holidays, and I'm just so unmotivated to do ANYTHING. Hope the chapter makes up for it! :)

_________________

Three hours later—and I know because I've been occasionally looking at the clock to check the time—, someone enters the room.

His hand stills where it's running through my hair. I've been leaning on him, nearly falling asleep. He hasn't seemed to mind, alternating between scrolling through his Facebook and reading random pages from The End of Us in the silence.

We'd eaten lasagne and the rest of the food. After a week of hospital food it had been the best thing I'd eaten in a long time.

Blearily, I open my eyes, aware of the footsteps getting closer to the bed, before I hear the quiet voice. "I'm sorry, Miss Adams but visiting time is over. Your guest is going to leave."

I lift my head with a sigh. It's the same nurse as before. Her smile is soft, sympathetic, as she stares at us. Knowing James is just staring at her, I grab the paper I'd put on the desk next to the hospital, writing quickly.

You have to go. Visiting hours are over.

His arm tenses around my shoulder and I see him sigh out of the corner of my eye. Then he writes down one word that makes me grin.

Seriously?

I let my head rest against his shoulder again, nodding slightly, as I reach for the pen.

Yes. :'(

Then, simply because my hearts still fluttering, I write,

You love me.

Only then does his arm relax. His lips touch my forehead and I manage to keep the blush from my face. Then he grabs the pen from me.

Yeah, CG. I do. How could I not? You're beautiful, funny, brave . . . and I've already said all this so I'll stop in case I bore you. But, bottom line, I love you.

I know, for sure, that I'll never get bored of it. Before I can think about it, I lean up to kiss him. A tear falls but I blink the others away.

When a throat, I stare at the nurse. "Miss Adams, you're boyfriend cannot stay. I can't bend the rules."

"You let me take a phone call," I remind her. She hasn't said anything about the fact that James is on the hospital bed as well yet, but I wait for it.

She runs a hand through her hair, sighing heavily. "I know. But I can't make a habit of it. You're going in for testing soon, in less than twenty minutes—you know how important it is that you get to them on time."