Chapter 6- Prophecies of Destruction

CHAPTER 6- PROPHECIES OF DESTRUCTION

The Grand Banquet Hall
The High Palace of Aerion
The City of Aerion, Aether

-Princess Sage-

The sun was almost setting and tonight was the winter solstice.

Today was also the day that King Ferion’s army would march towards Aerion according to the prophecies of an oracle. The High King took no chances with his family’s safety especially now that his heir was born. Because of this, the entire King’s soldiers and the delegates from the other Kingdoms were busy in preparation for a war.

Various troops and delegates from the other kingdoms continued their preparations for the war. I walked around the huge hall and saw warriors sharpening their swords, helping one another put on their armor, polishing their shields and some were even sparring. I looked around the hall for my own people and saw them huddled in a corner. Unlike the warriors who were busy with their weapons, my people were busy with meditation.

They sat on the floor with their heads turned up towards the sun as they sought inner peace and balance with the elements. This was how we recharged the magic within us and right now, in the brink of war, we needed every drop of magic we could.

We, sorcerers and warlocks, are not known for being great warriors. We hardly lift weapons for we have the magic we need. We’re not an asset on the battlefield in terms of our strength and agility in fighting. On the other hand, we are known for conjuring towers of flames, creating a hole in the ground, making the seas tremble with waves, earthquakes that can wipe out an entire cavalry and any other event wherein we can use the power of the elements. We are also known to be great battle strategists. But we are never famed for being great fighters.

Only one was famed for being a warrior: my father, King Arthos. It was he who fought bravely beside High King Grier a hundred years ago during the first war against his reign.  He not only wielded his control over the elements in the battlefield but he also wielded his sword and his shield.

I looked around the hall for Maester and didn’t see him anywhere in the hall or near our people. And then I remembered we were known to be great strategists. And Maester was one of the best strategists. He must be with the king now, giving his wisdom or giving some last-minute reminders regarding the battle.

With that in mind, I walked towards the High King’s study, humming to myself.

As I drew near, I felt a heavy layer of magic in the air. I closed my eyes and felt the magic. I immediately recognized it as Maester’s magic.

I feel as if I can see the blue color of his magic in the air which was his signature or trademark. No one else in Maegi can give off a blue aura when using magic. It was only my Maester. I walked faster thinking about what he could be doing using up so much of his magic before the battle?

I finally reached the High King’s study. Surprisingly, there were no guards around. I glamoured myself invisible using the same technique I used when I climbed on the dragon’s back and went here to Aerion. I was more confident this time for the glamour fooled Maester before. I know that it could fool him again...

I opened the door carefully and slipped in quietly. There were only two people in the room: Maester and King Grier. They were talking in hushed voices and I had to move closer to be able to hear them.