Superiority Complex

“And then she started going on about how I was saying the spell wrong! Oh Ron! It’s Lei-OH-sah, not levio-sah!”

“Well I was right wasn’t I? Pronunciation can mean the difference between a powerful incantation and a disfiguring back fire. And it was certainly a good thing that I was! Lords knows what would have happened if the spell had back fired! We all probably would have been killed by that mountain troll!”

“Yeah but we weren’t! Me and Harry saved you and everything worked out fine!”

“Yes, it all ended well but being honest Ron if you hadn’t of upset me in the first place I never would have been in the girl’s bathroom when that troll appeared and you wouldn’t have had to save me by using my correction to your mispronunciation of that spell.”

Ron simply let his head smash into the wood of the table, his hands clamping over his ears. I tried to shove down my grin as best I could but it was rare that Hermione and Ron had one of their ‘love spats ‘ so out in the open like this. And sadistic as it was I always found myself enjoying every minute of it, wishing a bowl of popcorn would just appear by my hand.

We were all in the great hall enjoying an even rarer moment in our lives when we could just relax and enjoy breakfast. Mine of course had been overlooked thanks to the soap opera entertainment sitting across from me and was now stone cold but it was the occasion that I was more enjoying. For once in almost 4 years we were just able to relax; no one was in peril, no one was hunting us and so far today no one had died which I counted as a huge achievement.

“Grace? Are you alright? You’ve been holding that same piece of toast up for the last 10 minutes.”

Hermione had broken from her ranting to snap me out of my musing. I dropped my cold toast back onto my plate raised my hands over my head enjoying the cracking of my bones and feeling of my muscles slowly stretching. Of course, Hermione being the mother hen she was frowned and folded her hands nervously.

“You really shouldn’t do that Grace its very bad for your bones.”

I stuck my tongue out at her and reached over to grab a fresh piece of toast.

“I’m sure stretching isn’t going to cause me permanent damage Hermione. Now please get back to your conversation with Ron, I think you’re winning.”

Hermione huffed and started mumbling about the effects of bones cracking over a long period of time to Ron who just glared at me. Probably hating me for the ruining any chance he had of getting out of the argument.

I smiled and droned her out. A trick I had managed to master in our second year during what I liked to call, ‘The great exam preparation of 92’. It was awful I had to resort to using one of Fred and Georges skiving snackboxes. They were incredibly effective but some of them really weren’t worth the symptoms they brought on.

I looked around discretely at the other tables. There were so few other students, and on a Saturday too. I remembered in our first year Saturday mornings had the hall nearly spilling over from the excited students planning what to spend the rest of the weekend on; but now students were either being yanked home by their parents for the weekends on taken out of Hogwarts all together. It was sad to think back at all the familiar faces that just slowly disappeared one by one as the months went by.

I suddenly felt something lightly thud against the back of my head. I turned round and saw a scrunched up and dirty napkin roll to a stop on the floor. Even from his position at the farthest end of the hall I could tell the rolled up napkin came from. The one person who I actually wished would leave Hogwarts. An increasingly more frequent blonde intrusion in my life and self proclaimed lord of all man kind...