Chapter One

"You son of a bitch! You can't continue doing this to us!" I shout.

There's another sharp tug at my wrist, and I fall on the ground, landing right on my elbows. I groan in pain from the sudden movement. The burning feeling that runs in my shoulder returns. It's almost numb by now from all the blood I've lost.

Tristen, the Grounder that captured Finn, me, and this kid, steps off his horse. His bald head is covered in soot, along with the rest of his clothes. He walks towards us, more specifically, me. Tristen stands tall in front of me, towering by at least eight inches. His hand lands on my shoulder, and squeezes a bit. I grit my teeth.

"Listen here, girl. You're lucky you're alive, and, well, I'm in charge," he pushes his thumb into my stiches; hard. I scream in pain as I feel the stiches continue to rip. The blood flows even more. There can't be any left intact. I know for a fact that half of them ripped when he kept tugging at the restraints around my wrist.

"Stop! Stop! You're killing her!" Finn shouts from behind me. He moves closer to try and stop it, but Tristen connects his fist with Finn's face. He falls to the ground, tired from exhaustion as well. I take deep breaths as he lets go. I look down at my shoulder to see a large blood spot starting to cover my shirt.

"Shit," I mutter. Finn reluctantly stands up, just as Tristen steps up onto his horse. "You good?"

He gives a curt nod, "Are you?"

I look down at my shoulder again. The spot has still increased in size. "I will be."

That seems to be my response for everything nowadays. At least for how I'm feeling, or how I'm holding up. Because one day, I will be okay, but today isn't that day.

My eyes wander around. The plants are all the same as they have been for the past four hours. I keep a look out for new ones. That's the only thing distracting me from everything that's going on. Like how I'm walking to my death. Or about Bellamy.

Or maybe I'm just hoping he'll show up and save me.

It's not like that's going to happen. Finn says he probably died in the fire. He said that they got split up, and we're lucky to be alive. I just don't want to believe he's dead. Bellamy he's Bellamy: he gets out of everything and anything.

The tug of the ropes brings me back to reality. I look back one last time, but Bellamy isn't there. No one is.

"Finn, I – I can't go on much longer," I whisper. My head hurts, and the dizziness isn't helping. Finn glances down at my shoulder.

"You have to."

"I can't go anymore." The words don't come from my mouth, but from the boy beside me. He falls to his knees as Tristen stops the horse. He jumps off, an angry vibe flowing from him, probably from stopping twice in less than an hour.

He pulls a machete from his belt, and makes quick work of cutting the guys throat. My eyes widen, and Finn lets out a small scream of protest.

"That was one; I lost hundreds," Tristen snarls. Black dots fill my vision, and the dizziness gets worse.

"Blade!" Finn shouts, he steps over to me. I hadn't even noticed I fell. Before he reaches me, Tristen pushes him back and brings out his blade again. "No!"

My head lolls to the side. I'm just so tired. I prepare for the all too familiar feels of a blade to my throat, but it doesn't come. I force my eyes open to see my rope cut, so only my hands are tied.