One and only Chapter

In the morning Claire was woken with a glass of water in her face

“Ah. What the hell Terry!” Claire yelled wiping water off her face,

“Your mum's been yelling for 20 minutes, your going to be late for school again” Terry stood rubbing the back of his neck trying to look anywhere but at Claire's wet shirt.

“We wont be late if we leave right now” Claire said while moving to get out of bed then stopped and looked at Terry, who is still standing there, in her room.

“Terry” Claire said sweetly

“Yes” Terry smiled at her

“GET OUT!” Claire screamed and Terry run so fast you would think a pack of wolves where chasing him.

Claire got dressed and out the door with Terry within 10 minutes. After school Terry walked her home and on the way they passed the Abandoned house next door.

“I heard tapping again last night”Claire said absently to Terry while looking at the house, number 5 Luna Street. Terry lived at number 9 and Claire at number 6.

“I saw the exterminator go in a week ago, they said he didn't find anything” Terry said while fiddling with his rubix cube,

“That thing has gone everywhere with you since you where 8 haven't you solved it yet?” Claire asked in disbelief.

“It's really hard” Terry rubbed the back of his neck again looking vulnerable and Claire laughed. It felt good to laugh having so little sleep and coming to the end of secondary school had put her in such a bad mood she had not laughed in weeks.

That night Claire was woken not by tapping but whistling coming from next door.

“What the hell, must be squatters I'll tell mum in the morning” Claire mumbled to herself rolled over and went back to sleep. The next morning she told her mum what she heard

“I better call the police then” her mum said with some concern.

“K, well I'll see you after school I'm going to be late Terry and I are going to get milkshake after” Claire told her mother leaving the house before she got a reply. After school Claire and Terry went and got milkshake and started home when they came to the abandoned house they saw police go inside

“I wonder if they found anyone” Claire said with a slight shiver the thought of some creepy homeless person sleeping in a room next to hers freaked her right out.

Claire tossed and turned in bed unable to get the memory of the eerie whistling out of her mind, the police had found nothing in the house next door, and had suggested to Claire's mother that she had an over active imagination.

“Claire” a whisper said that seemed to come from thin air, Claire froze eyes wide and tried not to breath so she could hear better.

“Claire” The whisperer purred with a coughing laugh at the end that made her jump out of bed and stare at the wall, she was sure now, sure that was where the sound was coming from.

“It's him, the tapping man, the whistling man, he is there, he must have been hiding. Oh god, oh god he knows my name” Claire whispered to herself

“Yess” He whispered back

“Tap...Tap..Tap” He said louder. Suddenly there was a tap at the window, Claire spun rapidly almost falling over, and saw.. Nothing, Nothing was there. She breathed out in relief and to her horror the window steamed up as she by her breath. She was not close enough that her breath would do that, she new this she felt as if she was loosing her mind, in that second when she started to believe that it was just a fluke nothing strange, she saw a dirty finger draw a smiley face in the steam and 2 eyes, real eyes peering at her through the clear spots of the smiley face. She Screamed and kept screaming.