Bleeding Nights (11)

Chapter Eleven

            “Golden bloods my butt.” I whispered, feeling no need to speak louder than that. His exclamation caught me off guard, all right, and I was utterly, for lack of a better word, speechless.

            Alex quirked, “Lainie? What do you mean, Lainie?” I couldn’t reply, couldn’t speak, couldn’t breathe. It was all happening too fast. Vampires, redemption, saviors, bloodlines? No, please, I’d rather just be normal. I was suddenly shaken rapidly, “Oh my goodness, Lainie? Shit, you’re broken. I should’ve known! Crap, why is it always –”

            He was cut off when I slapped his pretty little cheek, “Would you just shut up for like, ten seconds? Christ.”

            “Lainie, you swore.”

            “I did not.” At least, I thought I didn’t.

            He glared at me pointedly, “You said Christ. That’s not nice.”

            “What?” I welt my eye twitch. A time like this, and all he could think of was me cursing? “You’re insane!”

            “No,” He corrected, still not moving his hands from my shoulders, “I’m just religious.”

            Something didn’t click with that, though. A psychic Christian? Yeah, right. “But, you’re a psychic. You deal with fallen angels all the time…”

            “Not fallen angels. Descendants of fallen angels.”

            I chose to ignore him, “How can you be religious?”

            He seemed to think on that a moment. Then, “You have to believe in something, right?”

            That, in turn, made me think. Did you have to believe in anything to exist? Did Sin or Oliver believe in God? Did I? Would I get sent to heaven if I didn’t? What about the devil? Would I go to hell? Would I go…anywhere?

            “I guess,” I finally agreed, “But what does that have to do with this?”

            “You brought it up; therefore, you made it relevant.”

            “Actually, you brought it up.”

            “Shit,” He cursed.

            I giggled, trying to stifle it, with no result. “I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t lie.”

            “I know.” He confessed, “But I just, eh, hate being wrong. It sucks some mega giraffe abortions.”

            Another giggle, “I bet.”

            “I feel the raving more and more,

I like to jump right on the floor,

I feel the bass drum more and more,

It’s time for this.”

            I looked around, confused. What on earth was that? Where was it coming from? And, perhaps the most important question of all, what kind of song was that? I was going to think those questions out loud, when Alex quickly pulled out Haven’s cell phone and answered it. “Hello?”

            There were some muffled sounds. “Who? I don’t know a TJ.”

            “Yes, you do!” I reminded him.