Chapter 32: Patience and Planning

The following week went by in a whirlwind of supreme stress with exams less than two weeks away. Above that, she was forced to deal with the constant burden of being the leader of the Death Eaters, though she hardly ever saw them, or Tom for that matter, all week. Unlike Estela, and very much to her dismay, he seemed as calm as ever, without a single trace of stress visible on his fully composed exterior. Their meeting at Hogsmeade was this weekend, where they planned to discuss their journey to Albania in search of Ravenclaw's lost diadem.

She had to write to Grace and William for a permission slip which arrived Friday morning the day before the trip. They also sent a little note informing her that all was well at home, and wished her well with her exams. Along with the note and permission slip came a box of her favourite chocolates: chocolate wands.

Saturday morning came sooner than expected. Estela supposed the stress of everything made time go by quicker, and she was relieved to get some free time to herself that didn't involve revision.

It was a beautiful day, the sun high in the clear, cobalt sky and a warm breeze blowing against their faces as Estela, Cayra and Anthony walked down to Hogsmeade. They planned where they would visit as they walked, and Estela had left most of the planning to Cayra and Anthony seeing as she hadn't mentioned anything about her meeting with Tom at noon. She imagined their reactions if she told them about her new position amongst the Death Eaters. What would they think?

With the sun hot on their skin as they walked, the picturesque village of Hogsmeade came into view. It looked exactly like somewhere out of a postcard; the little thatched cottages and shops ran along the high-street that was currently filled with a sea of Hogwarts students contemplating where they should go first. Most windows were open with the heat and the faint sound of music could be heard somewhere up the street coming from Dominic Maestro's more than likely.

Their first stop was Zonko's, then Dominic Maestro's, a small music shop at the top of the street, where the music they had heard earlier had indeed been coming from.

Cayra's eyes bulged as she saw a whole corner of the shop was dedicated to her favourite band, 142 Staircases, and fawned over their records and merchandise. As a treat, Anthony bought her their latest record and a wristband with the band's logo that flashed different colours when one of their songs was playing.

After Cayra and Estela spent a great deal of time in Gladrags Wizardwear trying on lots of clothes, they made their way to the Three Broomsticks. Lots of other students had decided to come here at the same time as them, and they waved to Eve Meadows and Meredith Fox who were sat with some fifth years, and Anthony smiled at Michael Knight from Gryffindor who smiled back charismatically.

Cayra wrapped her arm around Anthony who smiled down at her and put his own arm around her shoulder. Estela smiled; they looked happy. They both talked and giggled amongst each other as Estela drank her Butterbeer and looked around the pub at the other students.

Spending time with them was nice, and she fully understood that they were a close couple, but Estela couldn't help but feel like the lonely third wheel of a tricycle. She suddenly felt a small tugging feeling at her gut and realised she'd never experienced that before - their love - or a relationship for that matter. It didn't bother her that much, but as she looked around the Three Broomsticks and saw all the other students, many of them couples, she felt a bit lonely.

It suddenly dawned on her that she had a meeting with Tom at noon and she looked at the clock behind the bar and spilled the remains of her Butterbeer on the table as the realised it was 11:57. She knew Tom would not appreciate her being late. On top of that she couldn't just rush out without saying a word to Cayra and Anthony, who were now looking at her with raised eyebrows.