Chapter 9

I saw James turn around, eyes wandering as usual, a huge problem of his when he was back in school, when he spotted me.

“Cam-may!” He yelled, smiling and waving wildly. I started laughing and picked up my pace.

“James!”

“Your hair is funny.” James said instantly once I reached him. I patted my hair and it felt poofy. 

“What does it look like?” I wasn’t too sure I wanted to know.

“Like a really weird afro.” He said, still staring at my hair. Groaning, I searched my pockets for a hair tie or clip or something. Then I remembered the ponytail holder on my wrist. Smiling with relief, I pulled my hair into a quick bun.

“Does it still look funny?” I asked James.

“Do you want me to get one of our hairstylists to do your hair? I mean, it would be no big deal.”

“Nah, that’s alright, just tell me if I look relatively normal now.” He just shrugged.

“Yeah, you look relatively normal. I think your eyes were watering from the wind though. Your mascara’s all down your cheeks.” I glared at him.

“Exactly how terrible do I look right now?” He snickered.

“Pretty terrible.”

“Thanks man. Good to know.” I said, with a flat voice. Did I have anything to wipe my face with? I opened my bag and started searching, only being able to find my Monster, sketchpad, iPod, and phone.

“Oi, James, what are you doing over here?” Liam emerged out of nowhere, Gemma trailing with a lost puppy look going on nicely.

“Talking to Cam.” James replied as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Hey Camille!” Liam said brightly as he came into full view. “Whoa, is something wrong? Are you crying?” He suddenly looked very concerned and it hurt my heart a little bit. In the good way.

“No, it’s the stupid wind. It made my eyes water and James here just told me I have makeup all down my cheeks.”

“It’s not like it’s a lot of makeup. It’s just a couple stripes. I’ve seen worse. Some people’s makeup runs like a river and turns their entire face black and splotchy.” James said, and I could have sworn I saw him do a quick glance to Gemma.

“Here, you can use this.” Gemma suddenly whipped out a pack of baby wipes from her bag that she was carrying.

“Why do you have baby wipes in your bag?” Liam asked, voicing mine and James’ looks of confusion.

“Germs. And they’re good for emergencies like this. Shut up.” She said sharply, quickly handing me a wipe. I quickly swabbed all over my cheeks and under my eyes.

“Better?” I turned to Gemma, knowing James wouldn’t say anything if there was so he could laugh and Liam would probably do the same.

“Here.” She grabbed the wipe in one hand and my face in her other as she quickly wiped apparent places that I missed. How on earth was there mascara by my ear? Seriously. How did that happen?

“So Cam, what have you been doing since lunch?” James asked, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his puffy jacket.

“Started touring the lot with Mom and Finch, wasn’t paying attention so I wandered off again, and then Ava found me and we went and had tea in her trailer.” 

“How do you wander off so easily?”

“I don’t know! One second I’m listening to some boring fact of how the costume trailer is for the costumes and the next I’m on the other side of the lot.”