Chapter 26

Kanti breathed a sigh of relief when Azra told them of a quicker way back to Silva—one that didn't require the use of the Arden rollercoaster system. Azra led Valerie, Cyrus, and Kanti into the desert, and no sooner had they left the outer boundaries of the Roaming City than it disappeared behind them. Valerie glanced over her shoulder for one last look at the city that had changed her life, and it had vanished. Would she ever return?

After walking a short distance, they reached a place where a rectangular patch of air, about the size of a door, flickered. It was strangely out of place against the monotonous sand and sky that stretched as far as they could see. When they drew closer, Valerie could see through the flickering door into the blurry inside of a room with stone walls.

Azra stepped through the door, and Cyrus and Kanti followed her as if crossing through a place where space had been bent was the most natural thing in the world. But Valerie paused before stepping through. Was there any chance that she could get caught in there, trapped between two places? It was too late to ask Azra now.

"Come on, Val!" Cyrus called through the window, his voice sounding muffled.

She held her breath and stepped through. It was as if she was being pulled in two directions at once, and her vision swam. But seconds later she stepped into a room with vaulted ceilings, and walls adorned with maps of the Globe.

The tension left Valerie's muscles. She made it through safely. Azra noticed, and her eyes became apologetic. I should have explained to you that this was the door Chern had created for me so that I could travel to the Roaming City so quickly. It must have been rather nerve-wracking to step through without any warning. But you are safe in my office now, so you can relax.

"I'm sure it's completely safe," Valerie said as her eyes adjusted to the room. She noticed that, in addition to Azra, Cyrus, and Kanti, Chern also stood behind the desk, gnawing at his fingernails as if he was even more anxious than he had when she first met him in the Guardians of the Boundary Guild.

"Well, that's not precisely true. There's always a chance that the threshold will collapse on itself with someone inside. The person would literally be torn to pieces," Chern said.

Valerie's stomach flipped, and she decided she was glad that she hadn't learned that piece of information until it was too late.

One-in-a-billion chance of that happening, though, Azra added. It's one of the safest ways to travel, though Chern here is the only living Conjuror who has the ability to bend space. Chern stood a little straighter at the compliment.

Still, Valerie hoped she would never have to travel that way again, especially since Chern was the one bending space. He was so shaky that he might accidentally make a wrong movement and trap her inside. He clapped his hands, and the flickering window disappeared with a loud crack that startled everyone, including himself. She couldn't help grinning—she had never met anyone so jumpy.

Thank you for your help, Chern. I will not soon forget it.

He bowed low to Azra. "Always at your service." Then he hesitated, adding, "However, helping you may make me a target of the Fractus. In fact, they could be on their way to my house right now." Valerie noticed that his hands started to quiver from fear.

I will call one of the Knights of Light to guard you until we are certain that you are safe, Azra promised. Then she turned to Valerie and her friends. Now, you three had better return to your dorm. Dulcea was frantic when she discovered your note. You should let her know that you're safe as soon as possible. We will talk about what you learned in the Roaming City when you have had a chance to rest and after I return from a trip to see a friend who may have some of the answers that we seek.