Back In Time: Chapter Fourteen

EDITED: Chapter Fourteen:

The next evening, I found myself shunned.  I hadn’t been able to talk to the Marauders at all that day, not until supper anyhow, but that didn’t matter, I was being ignored.  Sure, I sat with the Marauders but only Peter would talk to me.  Sirius was the worst, he didn’t even seem angry…just hurt, which in turn depressed me more than his hate would have.  I didn’t want to hurt him, but I hoped that by tomorrow evening, the day that term ended, they would understand and forgive me. 

“So what do you plan to do for summer, Spencer?”  His squeaky voice penetrated my inner thoughts, making me jump near ten feet in the air due to being started.

“Um.  I’m not sure yet.”  Just then, a plan began to form in my mind, Peter being in the middle of it.  “Say, have you ever heard of the Room of Requirement?”

Pettigrew shook his head negatively, making a small smile form on my face.  This would work out to plan, no doubt in my mind.

“Let me tell you about it…” I told him how to get in, what to think about and everything else I knew about it.  “How about you tell the guys about it tomorrow after term ends, and you can check it out tomorrow night?  I think that would be the perfect time.”

Peter nodded, looking up at me as if I were a god, and I couldn’t help but to feel that my plan was going to turn out perfectly. 

“Just remember, not until tomorrow.”

“I promise, I wont tell them until then!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Stretching, I pulled myself out of the comfort of my bed and stumbled my way into the bathroom to take a quick shower.  Afterwards, I put my school uniform, as I didn’t have anything else to wear and made my way into the Great Hall. 

I planned on sitting next to Sirius, but he had himself surrounded on all sides by the Marauders and a couple of Gryffindor girls.  There was no place anywhere near them for me.  My good mood crashed around my shoulders, sending me plummeting into what felt like a black abyss.

This would be my last day here, and all I’d wanted to do was spend the time with Sirius, Remus, James and Peter, but it didn’t look as if I’d have the time until after breakfast, if I was even that lucky. 

I wasn’t.  Lucky, that is.  They left abruptly, all at once, not even looking towards me.  But then again, in their defense, they may not have realized I was there.  I was on the verge of running after them when a hand landed on my shoulder, holding me down.

“Come with me.”  If it had been anyone else, I would’ve told them were to shove their command, but since it was my father, I followed behind him dutifully, out of Hogwarts and to the tree beside the lake. 

We sat together, for nearly ten minutes before he finally said something.

“When are you wanting this to happen?”

“Tonight.  I’ve arranged for my friends to be lead to the Room of Requirement by Peter Pettigrew.  I’m going to tell them the truth, and say goodbye.  Is that all right?”  Severus nodded, smiling towards me.  I’d grown so accustomed to my fathers niceness, that I wondered how I would handle being sent back to when he would be cold and emotionless. 

“Sev?”

“What?”

“Do you think you will all remember me once I’m sent back?” 

It was something that had been bothering me for quite some time.  What if Sirius and them all forgot about me, as if I’d never existed in their world.  What if my own father forgot about this whole ordeal?  I didn’t want them to forget about me.

“I’m positive that we wont forget.”

“Good.”

My father left from under the tree long before I did, instead I stayed, reminiscing over the months that I’ve spent here in the year 1978, well, 1979 now.  The end of my sixth year, and in only two months, I’ll be seventeen.  Of age. 

When I first came to this year, all I wanted was to go back home, to pretend like this was all some sick joke.  But as the time went by, I found friends, and even love.  I chuckled slightly, wondering how arguing could lead to love like it did.  Sirius may not love me, but he likes me, only…when I go back, he’ll be dead. 

Then what will I do?

Just thinking of him dying like I know he will made little rivers of salt water run down my face.  I hated having to tell him that I didn’t want to go on a date with him, but I shouldn’t lead him on.  That would’ve been just plain cruel.

But…what if I decided to change the future?  What if I told James what would become of him and Lily, and their son Harry Potter; The Boy Who Lived?

What if I were to tell Sirius not to talk the Potters into making Peter their Secret Keeper? 

There were so many what if’s…but what if that wasn’t the right decision to make?  How much would life as I know it change if I told my friends about their futures?  Harry could be happy, James wouldn’t die, Peter could still be a good guy, Remus would have all of his friends, but most of all, Sirius would still be around in my year. There would be a large age difference between us but maybe.. just maybe I could ask him to wait for me, until I came back.  

But was that the right decision?

What could I possibly choose?