Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

We arrive at Nate’s parent’s home. I open the door, before stepping out carefully. I don’t understand. Why am I acting so…I don’t know what the word is…? Like a princess, maybe?

“Mykala, you ready?” Nate asks, pulling my out of my head.

“Yeah, sure.” I reply, smiling.

“Ok, follow me. You have to stand behind a wall first off. And when I say your name, come out. Is that alright?” He asks, and I simply nod. Nate takes my hand, and pulls a key out of his pocket. We walk along the short path, which is lined with beautiful white flowers. The gravel is multi-coloured and the stone blocks that we continually step on are pale orange.

“They are extravagant with colours.” Nate notes, stopping at the doorway. He knocks twice, before unlocking the door.

“Mum? Dad? You home?” Nate calls, walking inside. I walk in, two steps behind him. The first notable thing about his parents’ home is the walls. One wall is pale orange, while the other is pale green. Then the carpet is black, making the room seem bigger than what it already is. Nate motions for me to stop, so I do, facing a picture frame. The frame holds an image of a woman with long, light brown hair and ice blue eyes, a man with short, dark brown hair and hazel eyes, a teenage girl with short, spikey brown hair and hazel eyes and a young boy with short brown hair and hazel eyes. So, the mum is the odd one out with the eye colour.

“Hey, dad. Hey, mum. How are you?” Nate’s voice drifts through the air.

“Good? That’s great.”

“Why am I here? Well…I need to introduce you to someone. Her name’s Mykala.” That’s my cue. I walk out from where I was standing, to stand next to Nate.

“Hi.” I say shyly. Luneites are always polite when meeting their elders, but I don’t know about my Nate’s world.

“Hello, Mykala.” A woman with light brown hair and ice blue eyes says, showing a small smile.

“This is my mother, Kayla, and my father, Justin.” Nate says, pointing at both of them. Nate’s dad nods at me, resting his head against the chair.

“There’s something up with her…” Nate’s dad says, locking his eyes onto mine. I lightly gasp, automatically worried. How would he know…?

“Dad, don’t be mean to Myki.” Nate says, staring at his dad.

“Sorry, Nate. I just get a bad vibe from her.”  I shake my head, as my phone rings. Taking it out, I see that the call’s from Ellye.

“Sorry, need to take this.” I say, smiling. Rushing out of the room, I click accept.

“Sis? Where are you? The whole campus where you’re supposed to be are looking for you!” Ellye calls through the phone, sounding worried.

“Ellye. Please tell me this is not on speaker.” I whisper, crossing my left hand fingers.

“It’s not.”

“Well, promise me you will not tell anyone else what I am about to tell you.”

“Ok, sis.” I hesitate for a few moments, before replying;

“I’m not on Luna.”

“What?!? How are you not on Luna?” Ellye says, shocked.

“Ask Morgan…Mistress Ilyx. And if you run into a guy named Onyx, tell him that he can find me back where we were three days ago.” I hang up, sighing. Sitting on the gravel, I feel someone’s hands on my shoulders. Turning around, I see someone I wasn’t expecting. Onyx.

“What the…?” I stumble over my words, clearly confused and shocked.

“Get up, Mykala.” Onyx growls, pulling me to my feet.

“Onyx, what are you doing?” I whisper, eyes wide.

“Taking you back.” I push Onyx, causing him to fall over. I run around him, into Nate’s parent’s house. I quickly fix myself, before walking back into the room. Nate turns around, smiling.

“You can stay here, Myki.” I smile back, giving him a tight hug. I hear someone cough from behind me, so I release myself from the hug. Turning around, I see Onyx standing there. My hands tremble, as I take one of Nate’s.’

“Mykala…what’s wrong?” Nate whispers in my ear.

“When I say run, run.” I whisper back. He nods, glaring at Onyx.

“Mykala.” Onyx says sternly, walking towards me.

“Run.” I whisper, and before I know it, Nate runs past Onyx, and out of my sight.

“Onyx, I’m not going anywhere, and you should have realised that already.” I say, hands still shaking.

“Yes you are.” He replies, grabbing my hands and pinning them behind my back. I think Nate’s parents have dozed off, because they are both snoring.

“Let me go!” I yell, kicking Onyx in the shin. He yelps, letting me go. I run past him, and out the front door. Seeing Nate there in his car, I smile. Wrenching the passenger door open, I jump in.

“I don’t care where we go, Nate. Just drive.” I say, slamming the door shut. Onyx comes out of the house, eyes wild.

“Go!” I yell, glaring at Onyx. Nate slams the reverse pedal down, and we zoom up the driveway. Onyx’s hands start glowing.

“Darn.” I whisper, my power slowly awakening. I hear Nate gasp, before he slams on the accelerator.

“What’s up with that guy?” Nate asks five minutes later, breaking a long silence.

“I don’t know.” I reply, shivering. They are coming to find me, but they won’t get me. Because I am the Luna Goddess.

“Yes, you do. I can see it in your eyes. My dad’s right, you are hiding something extravagant.” Nate says, peeling off a part of my shield.

“Stop the car, Nate. I have to show you in a secluded place.” I say. No less than ten minutes later, we stop. I quickly get out of the car, and as far away from Nate as possible.

“Mykala! What are you doing?” Nate calls out to me.

“Stay there! I don’t want you hurt!” I call back, closing my eyes. Concentrating, I see a waterfall with glistening grass. As I step onto the grass, my hair raises off of my back, turning silver. As I slip into the water, my palms glow bright blue.

“Myki…you’re scaring me.” I hear Nate call. Opening my eyes, I see him, his eyes full of terror. I turn away from him, letting my power rush away like water. My hair floats back down to my shoulders, and my palms go back to normal. I turn around once, a sad smile on my lips. I turn back around, before running off.

“MYKALA!” I hear Nate call, but somewhere in my mind, I hear Onyx too.

“MYKALA, STOP! THERE’S A LEDGE THERE!” Nate calls again, but before I can stop, I start falling.

“Nate…” I whisper, letting the wind take control. But, unconsciously, my power releases itself, stopping me mid-air. I gasp, as Nate’s head appears over the side of the ledge.

“Mykala? Are you okay?” Nate calls, seeing me floating.

“No.” I say, before letting my power go back to sleep. I begin falling again, as Nate calls out to me one last time.

“Forever and always.” I whisper, before I hit the freezing cold water.