Chapter 1 - Breakfast of Champions

Chapter 1

Breakfast of Champions

She bolted awake to the sound of a fist pounding on her bedroom door.  “Roo, get out of bed, you’re going to be late for work.” Her roommate’s voice traveled through the thin fiberboard.

Sascha glanced at her clock: 5:50. “Crap! I slept through my damn alarm.” She threw back her covers and jumped out of bed. Ten minutes until she had to be at work. There was no way she was going to make it on time. Definitely wasn’t time for a shower. She grabbed the uniform hanging from the back of her desk chair and gave it a quick sniff. The faint aroma of bacon and coffee lingered, but nothing that wouldn’t be covered up as soon as she stepped through the doors of the restaurant. She pulled the clothes on as she hopped towards her mirror.

Her hair was a rumpled disaster. She cursed her new haircut and longed for the days of the convenient ponytail. She fingered the pieces into some semblance of a style. tucking the longer front pieces behind her ears. It would have to do, cause it wasn’t going to get any better without a hat.

“Can you pick something up for supper tonight?” Gemma called as Sascha blew through the kitchen.

“Text me.” She called over her shoulder as the back door swung closed behind her. She dug through her purse for her keys as she hurried across the stepping stones that led through the backyard. It was only a five minute drive. She’d be late, but not by much. Steering the car with her knees, she pulled a travel bottle of mouthwash from her purse and emptied half the contents into her mouth. It would have to do until she was able to get a second to brush her teeth.

At a stop sign, she rolled down the window and spit into the road. She didn’t notice the girl in the crosswalk until she was wiping her mouth with the edge of her sleeve. Her face reddened with embarrassment. She held up the little bottle and shrugged. The girl laughed as she continued across the crosswalk. Sascha smiled to herself as she accelerated through the intersection and quickly finished the drive to work. She rushed through the back door, threw her bag in her locker and skidded to a stop at the prep station.

“Is she here?” Breathless, Sascha leaned against the wall as Jake measured grounds into coffee filters.

“You’re lucky. She’s not in until the lunch shift today.”

“Thank god!” Sascha leaned around the corner and signaled to the hostess that she was here.

“You better watch out Roo, she’s looking for any excuse to fire you. She really doesn’t like you.”

“I know!” Leaning down, she pulled the bucket of silverware rolls out of the cupboard. They wandered through their sections, placing cutlery at each place setting. “I slept through my god damn alarm. That girl was in my dream again.”

“You have got to get laid.” Jake grabbed the empty tray and headed back towards the kitchen area.

“You’re not wrong my friend.”

“If you swung my way, I’d offer my services.” Jake raised an eyebrow.

“Keep dreaming dorkwad.” Sascha rolled her eyes

“We’re ready to open the back Kal.” He called towards the front podium.

“Well find a way to keep yourselves occupied.” Kallie wandered back towards them “We’ve had less than a dozen people through the front since we opened.”

“You mean no one wants to eat at this mecca of breakfast food mediocrity? Shocking!” Sascha rubbed her eyes and took a deep inhale of coffee fumes. “Brew faster damn it.”