First Lessons in Geography

FIRST LESSONS IN GEOGRAPHY***

E-text prepared by Justin Gillbank and Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders from images provided by Internet Archive Children's Library and University of Florida

Note: Project Gutenberg also has an HTML version of this file which includes the original illustrations. See 11722-h.htm or 11722-h.zip: (http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/1/1/7/2/11722/11722-h/11722-h.htm) or (http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/1/1/7/2/11722/11722-h.zip)

Images of the original pages are available through the Florida Board of Education, Division of Colleges and Universities, PALMM Project, 2001. (Preservation and Access for American and British Children's Literature, 1850-1869.) See http://purl.fcla.edu/fcla/dl/UF00000411.jpg or http://purl.fcla.edu/fcla/dl/UF00000411.pdf

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL SERIES.--NO. 1.

FIRST LESSONS IN GEOGRAPHY;

Or, Introduction to "Youth's Manual of Geography."

By JAMES MONTEITH

1856

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL SERIES.

No. 1.--MONTEITH'S FIRST LESSONS IN GEOGRAPHY, for Beginners.

No. 2.--MONTEITH'S YOUTH'S MANUAL OF GEOGRAPHY, for Junior and Intermediate Classes.

No. 3.--McNALLY'S SYSTEM OF GEOGRAPHY, for Advanced Classes in Schools, Academies, and Seminaries.

* * * * *

The above Books, which are written by Practical Teachers, constitute the most complete GEOGRAPHICAL SCHOOL SERIES extant; and they are so adapted to each other, that the learner advances from one to the other with satisfaction and success.

A.S. BARNES & CO.

PREFACE

It is evident, that to secure a complete system of teaching Geography in our Schools, there should be at least three grades of Text-books; namely, INTRODUCTORY, INTERMEDIATE, and ADVANCED. As the necessity for a Geography more introductory in its character than those now in use has been long felt, the Author would respectfully solicit the notice of his fellow-teachers to this little work.

Its plan is such, that the subject is presented in the most simple form.

It treats of GENERAL FEATURES, such as the locality and description of Continents, Countries, States, Rivers, Mountains, &c., without dwelling prematurely upon the minute details that embarrass the learner in his first effort.

The EXERCISES are arranged in Question and Answer.

The MAPS are free from all meridians, parallels of latitude, and any superabundance of names; thereby giving a greater prominence to the general divisions of land and water.

CONTENTS.

DEFINITIONS.

MAP OF THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE.

MAP OF THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE.

MAP OF NORTH AMERICA.

MAP OF THE UNITED STATES.

MAP OF THE EASTERN STATES.

MAP OF THE MIDDLE STATES.

MAP OF THE SOUTHERN STATES.

MAP OF THE WESTERN STATES.

MAP OF SOUTH AMERICA.

MAP OF EUROPE.

MAP OF ASIA.

MAP OF AFRICA.

[Illustration: Excelsior.]