The Fifth Letter To You

Dear John,

It’s been seven years. Seven years since I was at your house. Eight since I last communicated with you.

Sometimes it’s unreal. There have been a couple occasions where I thought you were calling out my name. I’ll turn around expecting you, only to see no one there. A lot of the time I’ll think back to when I met you. I think about what life would have been like without you. What would have happened if I never looked into your math book? I never would have fallen in love. I never would have passed Math. I would have probably been held back at graduation.

Worst of all? You would have died before I got to know you.

It’s funny. Humans don’t think they have an importance in someone’s life. I never thought that that rainy day was significant. I never thought that I would touch someone so much, that they would fall in love with me. I never thought that I could make a difference.

It’s funny because it’s the exact opposite. Those actions that I have always thought as insignificant were just the opposite. Helping you up was the most significant thing I have ever done.

I’ve learned it’s the seemingly insignificant things that are most significant in life. I’ve also learned that even the simplest of things can inspire someone.

But in this case I’m wrong.

You’re not simple, John. You’ve inspired me in more ways than one.

I went to college, John. I went and got a Masters in Education. I teach eighth grade students. This will make you smile, John. I teach a Math class.

My students know of you. I use your quotes all the time. I showed them many different puzzles. I did the same thing you did, John. A lot of them were having trouble with Algebra. So I brought in a lot of puzzles and mazes. I even brought in my special puzzle, even though I still carry it around everywhere I go. I didn’t think anyone would solve it. I was wrong.

Drake. That’s the name of the kid who solved it. He reminds me of myself in that grade. He has a lot of trouble in Math. But that’s not why he reminds me of myself. He’s very popular, John. But there is another boy in the class. His name is Steve. Steve is very shy. He’s also very sad. I talk to him a lot, but he is like how you used to be. He’s embarrassed that his only friend is a teacher.

One day, I saw some kids picking on Steve. He was knocked to the ground. I was about to go stop the bullies when Drake stood up to them. As I said, Drake is popular, and I know what that feels like. He hoisted Steve up, picked up all of his books, and walked him home. They were talking the whole way down the street, and I could have sworn I saw Steve laugh. That was a couple months ago.

Anyway, Drake solved it, John. I wrote the clue up on the board. A lot of the kids were stumped, mostly because they don’t know who John Adams is. But Drake stared at it for a while before asking to see the puzzle. I gave it to him, and he figured it out within ten minutes. I was probably just dense, John.

Drake was very surprised to see a note. I was too. I forgot I had put it back a couple nights before so I could carry it around. Drake opened the note and read it out loud. I was embarrassed. Not because you love me, but because I’m technically not supposed to be “out” at school.

All the students started to whisper amongst themselves. That is, until one of the girls pointed at my ring and said, “Is that from him?”

I was still in shock, so I just nodded my head. That’s when the students started asking questions about you, John. I know you won’t mind, so I told them everything about you. I know you’d be proud that your story is an inspiration. A lot of the students sat there, mesmerized. Many cried as I told them of when we professed our love. That’s when Steve piped up. Never had he asked a question or answered a question.

“Is it hard?” he whispered.

I smiled slightly. I looked into his eyes. They revealed he was scared to death. He was trembling and biting his lip.

“No,” I said. “Not when you love him.”

I looked over to Drake to see him giving Steve a loving look. I smiled as Drake turned back towards me. I winked in his direction and inclined my head slightly toward Steve. Drake blushed slightly and gave a quick nod.

I continued to answer questions about you, John. And you know what I realized? I realized that life is a puzzle, and some clues are meant to confuse, but with enough love the puzzle will always be solved.

.. .-.. --- …- . -.-- --- ..-

                                                 -... .-. .- -..