The Promise

The Promise

It is the nature of time to progress at the rate least suited to general convenience, Mary thought as she waited for her sister-in-law to present her new wedding clothes. The onerous silence of the sunny parlor was punctuated only by the light ticking of her manor clock, and the soft, continual beating of her heart. Mary sighed, longingly.

“It has been three weeks since I have heard any news, dear Eleanor,” Mary said as she tied the final knot to her stitching. She glanced at the clock, settled on the mantle, and wished it counted days, rather than hours. “William has never gone so long without sending word.”

“Hush, Mary. You cannot accomplish anything by worrying,” Eleanor patted her sister-in-law’s hand affectionately. “It must be difficult to find time to write out at sea. Now set that aside and smile for Emily. It is her day, and it does no good to dampen her spirits with your frowning.”

Emily Rhodes, soon to be Hartley, entered the room, beaming brightly in her wedding clothes. “It is the latest fashion, direct from London. What do you think? Does it suit me?”

“Most certainly, dear,” Mary smiled, just as she was told. “You shall be the prettiest bride in all of the country.”

“You really think so? Mother was quite set on blue or white, but my dear Mr. Hartley thinks I look most becoming in green.”

She twirled, and truly looked quite fetching in the light green dress and yellow trim. “This is the most beautiful dress I have ever owned. To think--you must have owned many fine dresses before you married our brother, Mary.”

“Emily!” Eleanor said, shooting her sister a sharp look.

“It is quite fine, Eleanor. I love your brother very much, Emily, and that is a far greater gift than all the gowns in Windrow House.” Mary said, glancing at the clock once more.

“If you say so. I do so love Mr. Hartley, but I shouldn’t bear to think of having to live without a carriage, or servants to keep house and cook.”

Mary nodded her silent assent. She ran her fingers over the newly embroidered initials on her husband’s handkerchief, imagining at any moment, she would hear him come through the door.

She smiled again, cheerfully, for the benefit of her companions. “It was so kind of you both to come keep me company. I abhor solitude when my William is away.”

“Think not on it, dear sister. In any case, it is an opportunity for Emily to gloat about her advancing station.”

Mary laughed. “It will do you no good, if we are all to become French.”

“Your frankness is appalling, Eleanor, really. Must you be so rude?” Emily huffed, turning about in the full gown once more. When the knock came, Mary was almost sure she had imagined it.

“Mary, I believe there is someone at the door.”

“How strange. I am not expecting anyone. Excuse me a moment.”

When Mary opened the door, she was greeted by the figure of a man in the full dress of the Royal Navy, her husband’s company. Her heart fluttered nervously as she took in the unannounced stranger, who nonetheless had an air of familiarity about him. His hair and eyes were a soft brown, and were set with a solemn look that seemed unnaturally fixed on his handsome face.

“Excuse me for calling unannounced, but may I speak to Mrs. William Rhodes?” he said, his voice agonizingly familiar in Mary’s ear. She wondered if she knew him from her husband’s acquaintance, or from one of the officers’ balls they had attended before the French had decided on a war. She smiled politely, a mask laid over her confusion.