Speech: Topic; Scars

Speech

 Topic: Scars

7 billion, what business does such a big number have in this speech? Well, its the number of people in the world. Still, you wonder why its there. Multiply that by three, 21 billion. If, at any given time, each person in the world had only 3 scars on their bodies thats a mere 21 billion scars. Yet, there are more scars than the ones seen just on the surface.

There are many types of scars that we acquire in our lives. Many people tend to see scars as nothing more than blemishes, or bumps on your skin, but thats not all scars are. If we were to turn to each other and talk about a certain scar we have on our selves it would be quiet a tale. We could have great laughs reliving the memories behind the scars we are showing,but physical scars aren't the only scars out there. There are scars below the surface, emotional scars. Many people in this room will laugh at the thought, thinking emotional scars are nothing. They're just things that weak people get after someone calls them a name, but thats not it.

Now I'm not trying to be all Dr. Phil psychological on you, but emotional scars are nothing to laugh at. They are at times, more painful than the physical scars many people flaunt with their battle stories. Emotional scars are caused through abuse, bullying, break ups, the death of loved ones. I could go on and on about the causes but I'd run out of time. The scar will heal and fade over time but its still there, inside of you. Emotional scars take a long time to fade, and sometimes never do. If you were in the war and captured you could come out of it with an emotional scar that never goes away, one that could cause you to go crazy. Emotional scars caused by war will forever be carried with you.

Physical scars aren't something to sneeze at either, some are wounds from a so called battle that helped make you stronger, but other scars are wounds of abuse, assault, war, etc. These wounds can be seen every day and when you see them you will be reminded what happened to you. Imagine waking up each day, looking in the mirror to do your make-up, or fix up your hair so it looks right, only to see the ugly scar on your cheek, a reminder of the day you were jumped.

I'm not trying to tell you that all scars are ugly, useless, and always filled with hurt. Physical scars can be something seen to everyone as proof that you stood up for what you believed in, even if it involved pain, or torture. Emotional scars help make you stronger. By going through something once, you know your strength, and thats your strong enough to make it through again.

“There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.” Harry Crews.