Chapter 7

She ran across the large field, knowing nobody was around to see her, yet hiding in the high grass. She felt angry. Angrier than she usually was. Nobody respected her. Nobody wanted her. Like she had put the dragons on the path of war. Like she was the bad guy in this story. She entered her tunnel. Nobody knew about the tunnel. That made it valuable. If they had known about it, she probably wouldn’t be alive anymore. She didn’t really care. She didn’t have a reason to be alive. And yet she was doing the best she could to stay alive. Maybe because she did respect them or because she wanted to be one of them. She didn’t know how to be one of them. They were different. Different from her, from what she had learned. She could never be one of them. She knew that. That was the only reason she had to watch them. To study them. To not be like she used to be.

            She reached the end of her tunnel. It was almost entirely dark. She lit a torch. She lived alone. The others had left or died. Most of them died, were murdered. She entered a room. The one that used to be the great hall, packed with beauty and treasures. Now the dirt had covered the beauty and most of the treasures were stolen or broken. She climbed down what was left of the stairs, repeatedly coming across broken pieces of the roof and walls.

            They had destroyed her home. Nothing had remained untouched. The others had not done anything to stop them. They had hidden themselves. They had found them. No one was left to tell the story, except for her. She heard the voices out of  the guestrooms. She would have to bring food to them. She didn’t care about them. They had taken everything from her. All she wanted was a normal life. She knew she would never get one. She wanted to be one of them. She knew she could never get accepted. She wanted to study them, to get an idea of how they lived. That was possible. And that was what she was doing. Study them. The ones who had destroyed everything she cared about.

            She turned away from the guestrooms and entered her own living place. She had a basket with food and a pile of hay for a bed. She thought of her observations of that day. They hadn’t noticed her. They looked interesting. She thought of a way to lure them. A smile spread on her face, for the first time since they had destroyed her life. She knew how to do it…