The Marked (Sequel to The Sacrifice)

A wall of cold slams into my body so rapidly that I can’t think. Flames dance across my skin to shield me from the deadly white that threatens to suffocate me. The heat successfully melts the snow and ice and sleet, the deadly cold that has decided to coat everything. Yet, in the middle of all this cold energy, there is not a single sound. The suddenness of everything has eliminated every sort of hostile life around us. And then, among the silence and sudden stillness, and scream sounds. It’s heartbroken, desperate, and cuts off abruptly, as if the voice that gave it life has ended. My heart thunders. 

There’s a white-haired boy staring down at the limp body of my sister. Her dark hair is scattered about her like she’s been in a blizzard. The boy is screaming loudly, but my ears are still ringing from the scream. The frosty weather has spared him, and her Packmates. The icy glaze has skipped over my Panthers, and has avoided me for the most part. The boy, this boy that my sister is so fond of is screaming. “No!” He screams. “No, no!” 

One of her Wolves, a tall, dark haired one with bright eyes is getting up slowly. He looks wounded and uncertain. “Snow?” His voice rumbles, lower than any of my Panthers. His voice is rugged compared to the smoothness I’ve been surrounded by. “Snow!” He’s leaning over her, azure eyes bright and terrified. I know that I should do something, but I don’t know what. 

Then I take a step forward. And another, and yet another, until I stand above her, wide-eyed and confused. Why is my sister lying here? She’s motionless. She looks... like ice. The slight blue tint to her skin scares me, although I know she cannot suffer from cold. My fingers reach for her, but I retract them instantly. The cold is enough to drive me away. I cannot stand cold. “What’s wrong with her?” I ask, my eyes narrowing greatly as I frown a bit more. I reach my fingers out to touch her again, but then her Wolf, that outrageously tall one, snarls at me. 

“Don’t touch her!” That voice of his is certainly threatening, but it isn’t something that scares me. 

“She is my sister, you know.” I respond calmly. He bares his teeth and shields her body from view. 

“She is mine.” He snarls. “You cannot touch Snow. I won’t allow it.” There’s a sadness in his eyes, this wild desperation like a cornered, rabid animal that keeps me from snarling a reply. Instead, I take a step back and evaluate what’s going on. 

As soon as he sees that I’m not going to touch my sister, he turns away and starts mumbling. I frown. What a strange guy. He’s certainly not the type of person I would’ve thought would hang around Snow. He seems scared though, and not for any of us. He’s scared for Snow, and that’s what truly frightens me. The cold is starting to creep along my skin. With every breath we take a puff of white appears. Snow has certainly dropped the temperature, and I know I can’t stay here long. I force flames to my fingertips and rub my hands together, basking in the little warmth I conjure up. She’s blanketed this entire area, frozen it into what appears to be un-melting ice. 

Inferno sidles up to me silently and Shifts. His gold eyes are trained on the Wolf and Snow, and he seems to be frowning. “What happened, Blizzard?” Inferno addresses a tall, white-haired boy with bright gold eyes and an athletic build. He shakes his head. 

“I’m not entirely sure. The cuff broke, and Mistress froze everything.” Blizzard responds, his golden-eyed gaze darkening with worry. “I think her power may have overwhelmed her.” Inferno’s equally golden gaze drills into Snow’s still form. 

“Aisu.” The Wolf who hovers about my sister snaps his head up. “It’s obvious she’s currently unconscious. Let’s get her somewhere that has a human medic.” 

“Aisu” snarls at Blizzard, who appears to be the Alpha of his group. “I thought you could treat physical injuries for Snow!” Aisu growls, his canines sharpening into large, destructive, wolf-like teeth. His voice turns guttural and savage. “I thought you were meant to keep her safe!” Blizzard’s eyes widen, and I find myself frowning yet again. What is with Aisu? What connection does he have to my sister? He is only a Beta, after all. The rest seem to be Omegas.